Print Spooler keeps restarting

Anonymous
2009-08-31T19:54:08+00:00

I screwed up my print spooler in windows 7. It's in a restarting loop and does not allow me to do anything. The fix it tool from Microsoft that usually works great and clears out all the print drivers so that I can start fresh does not work in windows 7.

How can I fix this issue in 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-01T11:23:56+00:00

Hello Methodman85,

 Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forums.

 Sorry you are having this problem with your printer.  I would suggest submiting your question at the link below for Windows 7 Forums.  You can also search FAQ's as well as submit a question.  Thanks!

Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I would also try the steps below to see if this helps out.  This is from the same site where the Fix It tool is located. 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8c11977e-8244-408f-a036-7978a618d7a21033.mspx#EOD

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

 To change or restart the Print Spooler service

 You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.  Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.  Double-click Services.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.

4.  On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

5.  If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-24T12:54:32+00:00

    "What else can I do? Is Microsoft (to your knowledge) working on this problem?"

    Tell me about it.  I have three Windows 7 machines in my home and none of them will print to anything due to this broken printer spooler issue.  I have had to reinstall Win 7 on my main desktop machine, re-installed CutePDF (so I can print to PDF), but I dare not install a physical printer in case it breaks again.

    I'm literally going to have to completely image my hard disk before I install the printer as even System Restore won't restore the spooler once it's broke!

    Come on Microsoft, get it fixed or I'll have to revert to XP and live without half of my physical 6 Gig RAM.

    Mike Stringer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-04T19:22:36+00:00

    I have the same settings in my HLM settings as you, but for the past week can not print. I've done everything recommended, including starting spooler service over, removing (unchecking) dependencies - rechecking all dependencies, rebooting system after making changes, not  rebooting, etc. Yet still, whenever I try to print, I get the following error message

    "Operatin could not be completed (error 0x000006b) The local print spooler service is not running,. Please retart the spooler or restart the machine."

    What else can I do? Is Microsoft (to your knowledge) working on this problem? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

    Dan Manuel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-29T20:46:57+00:00

    Hi james,

    I got the same trouble with an HP laser jet 1018 on a new Sony Vaio that runs on Windows 7. I have tried your 5 steps as well as the approach suggested by defitz, but with no success. I keep getting "error message 0x000006ba. The printer spooler service is not working. reboot the spooler or the computer." (I am translating this error message from French as I have Windows 7 set up in French).

    Can you help?

    Arnd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-24T22:58:55+00:00

    James,

    I did as you stated above and when I hit the Start button I get: Windows could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.  Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

    Chuck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments