How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T02:19:34+00:00

    Same problem only multiple updates:

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2761451  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2744842  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2722913  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2719177  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2699988  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    Operating system Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

    IE9 version: 9.0.8112.16421IC (product ID: 03553-495-4913855-71770)

    Tried stand alone versions of installers, same results - install failure, same error code - 80073712.

    Tried installing Hotfix for Windows KB947821, installation failed.

    Tried "Article 971058" Mr FixIt, did not correct the problem.

    SFC scan produced no integrity problems.

    No known viruse, malware or spyware (multitude of different scanners used).

    Could someone intellegent from MS please tell me which services need to be turned back on or which settings to

    adjust or which registry keys to fiddle with to get the updates to install. I also have had this problem for 2

    years.

    Hello FZT

    I think you have put it in a nutshell "someone intellegent at MS" I feel they are after all this just not interested in customer satisfaction. 

    As I said before I have given up and will just live with it.

    KevGAmble

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T00:05:47+00:00

    Same problem only multiple updates:

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2761451  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2744842  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2722913  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2719177  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    IE9 Cumulative Security Update for Windows Vista KB2699988  Insatallation Issue: Failed; error code: 80073712

    Operating system Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

    IE9 version: 9.0.8112.16421IC (product ID: 03553-495-4913855-71770)

    Tried stand alone versions of installers, same results - install failure, same error code - 80073712.

    Tried installing Hotfix for Windows KB947821, installation failed.

    Tried "Article 971058" Mr FixIt, did not correct the problem.

    SFC scan produced no integrity problems.

    No known viruse, malware or spyware (multitude of different scanners used).

    Could someone intellegent from MS please tell me which services need to be turned back on or which settings to

    adjust or which registry keys to fiddle with to get the updates to install. I also have had this problem for 2

    years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-09T01:29:16+00:00

    How am I supposed to reinstal Windows when the only discs that came wih my computer are for hardware (mouse, printer, moniter) and other software, such as Encarta, Microsoft money, microsoft works,  etc.  NO discs were provided in the packaging for the already installed Microsoft Vista.  I took it to a repair shop about a year ago and was told they could only reinstall if I have the discs.

    I have had this failure for years and now, I cannot update internet explorer because everything says that it is not compatable or needed for my vista, and yet the update repeatedly fails.  Many things on the web are discontinuing Explorer 7 compatability.  I would love to ge tthis resolved.  I don't feel I should have to purchase a new computer to do so and, quite frankly, I can't afford to at this time.

    HELP!

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-28T13:20:09+00:00

    I have the exact same problem.  I ran the sfc, and it stopped at 89% because it was unable to fix the corrupt files.  What do I do now?

    2010-01-27 22:31:14, Info                  CSI    00000327 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:62{31}]"stocks_search_selected_left.png" of Microsoft-Windows-Gadgets-Stocks, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments