"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-22T18:39:25+00:00

    Page file does not slow down your system.

    This statement is not true so I would not be seeking advice from the person who made it!

    How large is your SSD and how much free disk space does the drive have?

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-22T15:15:25+00:00

    Hey,

    Page file does not slow down your system.

    To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

    Check with this option:

    Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Hi Divya,

    My C: drive is entirely on a SSD, which is much faster than the other hard drive, will that be a good idea to put the paging file on a different drive other than C?

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-25T16:20:32+00:00

    As it turns out for ONEspecific resent issue that I have been dealing with here, I will explain why the bold, it was due to me setting up and trying to use Microsoft Speech Recognition software that is included with Window 7. I had it set to load at start-up and found it was very quickly and in short order growing to use 8-11GB or memory with was causing this recent issue. It appears Microsoft Speech Rec has massive memory leeks. What a shame. On another Windows XP system I have ran out of memory due to the most recent Firefox install using up all of the memory and had to close and reopen it. It seams that we are in an Ara of time where massive memory  hogging and leaking applications are the norm. Developers are either not smart enough these says or are to quick at pushing things out to write clean code that does not leek memory. So I am assuming that we all have to resort to opening and closing applications constantly throughout the day and not use those ones that almost immediately leek massive amounts of memory like MS Speech Rec.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-31T12:14:23+00:00

    Lol, funny thing is I actually came looking because I have a brand new super dell, laptop, with 32gigs and dual 8 gig video cards, yet, I started getting these errors the last few days.

    However, the issue is actually with Visual Studio 2013 and Word.

    Even funnier is... I was not even coding. I am actually coding on my MAC, porting a game I wrote. I merely opened Visual Studio so I could look at my screens (never ran it once), and as for Word I was writing my privacy policy.

    And I can assure you my SWAP file, and my RAM are A.O.K. lol and I was not low for any app(including them). Loads of handles though (which can also be a problem), but nothing major.

    Anyhoo, yeah it's annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments