Delay mounting network drive at boot?

Anonymous
2010-04-17T12:13:51+00:00

I have a network drive that I have mapped as a drive on my toshiba nb205 notebook.  It works fine with one exception, boot-up time. 

When the notebook is booted it can never connect to the mapped drive, if I manually open the drive it will then connect and be fine.

My theory is that windows is trying to connect to the drive before the network connection is established. 

Is there a way to delay mounting the network attached drive until the network establishment is complete?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-17T13:17:11+00:00

Try this:

  1. Click Start, then type the three letters cmd into the Search box and press Enter.
  2. Type these commands and press Enter after each:

    net use /persistent:no

    net use * /del /yes

    notepad "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\netlogon.bat

  1. Type the following lines:

    @echo off

    set delay=60

    ping localhost -n %delay%

    net use E: "\SomePC\SomeShare"

  1. Save and close the file

From now on your network connection(s) will be made 60 seconds (or whatever delay you set) after you log on. You must, of course, replace "SomePC" and "SomeShare" with actual names. You also need to be careful with your typing. The commands I used will not tolerate many variations.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-21T23:22:23+00:00

    I like the idea of create the scheduled task...have to look up more info about it.

    Wifi is connected automatically, no need to do anything from start up to windows fully loaded.

    Wifi takes 3 seconds to connect, the first try to connect with mapped drives takes 1 second, so 2 seconds ahead of the wifi. 

    I guess if this was cabled instead wouldn't happen since Ethernet is connected from power up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-21T15:31:35+00:00

    If I am not mistaken that command is for the RE CONNECT, so , the second attempt.

    What I need is to delay the 1st attempt, until I have the wifi connected.

    I need to delay the mapped drives on boot! 

    The facility to reconnect shares at boot time is built into the system and cannot be delayed. You have two options:

    • Live with the problem.
    • Disable the inbuilt reconnection setting and create a scheduled task that does the same job but with a suitable delay.

    Which one do you prefer?

    How does the system know when you have the wireless network connected? Do you click something?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-21T12:54:35+00:00

    If I am not mistaken that command is for the RE CONNECT, so , the second attempt.

    What I need is to delay the 1st attempt, until I have the wifi connected.

    I need to delay the mapped drives on boot!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-21T08:51:26+00:00

    Just before the wifi connects , windows tries to connect with the drives.

    To prevent Windows from reconnecting shared drives automatically, type this command at the console:

    net use /persistent:no

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments