How can I clean the rubber sides of my mouse?

Anonymous
2009-07-15T22:46:08+00:00

I have the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.  I've had it for approximately 2 years.  The rubberized sides have become sticky/tacky.  What can I use to clean them?  The mouse works just fine; it's the texture of the grips that is yucky.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-16T04:56:35+00:00

Kirstin McDonald,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

On the hard plastic parts you can use any kind of mild household cleanser on a soft cloth, never spray anything directly on any electronics.  You can get special cleaners at the computer / electronics stores, but basically they are much different from your common all purpose cleanser.  Never use anything harsh that will break down the plastic.  For the soft rubber like surfaces you have to be more careful to use something very gentle like a mild liquid hand soap, just a tiny dab on a web cloth.  Or try those pre-moistened hand wipes.  If it is gentle enough to wipe your hands with, then it should be safe for the mouse.  If the rubber has started breaking down and getting sticky, don't try to clean it, it is time to get a new mouse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-14T21:41:57+00:00

    My intellimouse 1007 rubber parts come off on my hand and fingers like tar. This isn't right. There must be a flaw in the materials. It may be toxic at this point. I going to have it tested. You've probably sold tens of thousands of these. I would like for Microsoft to replace it and I will drop the matter.

                                                                                       Thanks, Gary Saxton

    5942 W. Mercury Way

    Chandler,Az. 85226

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-06T15:15:24+00:00

    For those who are hating on Microsoft, just a heads up that I ended up here because the same thing happened to my mother's Logitech V470 mouse.

    Over the River gave a very level-headed reply on October 30, 2012 ... and I second his/her emotion, buyer beware. How many people in this thread took the time to look for reviews of the product they purchased before buying?

    For the record, this V470 is the 1st Logitech mouse I have ever seen that exhibited this behavior (it's the only V470 I have ever purchased), and I have been using Logitech mice for over 15 years. I blame my mother :P

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-19T01:41:11+00:00

    Get a knife and scrap it off. The top layer will come off and it will be good to go. At least until it get funky again and you clean it with a harsh cleaner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-30T13:34:14+00:00

    @Taipei800, 

    In this case the mice are great, it is a problem with the rubber coating. Each of the suggestions on this thread give helpful advice on how to address the problem, but none can have a solution for issues associated with environmental damage to the rubber that causes the problem. Microsoft isn't the only manufacturer to use this surface treatment, but I don't think it adds enough utility to justify using it.  I don't think you have to stop buying Microsoft peripherals/hardware, but you may do as I have done by limiting your purchases to products without coatings that have potential problems.

    I haven't held a Surface Tablet yet, but the next time I am near a Microsoft Store I will check it out and let you know my thoughts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments