How can I clean the rubber sides of my mouse?

Anonymous
2009-07-15T22:46:08+00:00

I have the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.  I've had it for approximately 2 years.  The rubberized sides have become sticky/tacky.  What can I use to clean them?  The mouse works just fine; it's the texture of the grips that is yucky.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-16T04:56:35+00:00

Kirstin McDonald,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

On the hard plastic parts you can use any kind of mild household cleanser on a soft cloth, never spray anything directly on any electronics.  You can get special cleaners at the computer / electronics stores, but basically they are much different from your common all purpose cleanser.  Never use anything harsh that will break down the plastic.  For the soft rubber like surfaces you have to be more careful to use something very gentle like a mild liquid hand soap, just a tiny dab on a web cloth.  Or try those pre-moistened hand wipes.  If it is gentle enough to wipe your hands with, then it should be safe for the mouse.  If the rubber has started breaking down and getting sticky, don't try to clean it, it is time to get a new mouse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-25T18:30:11+00:00

    I have the same problem with the rubber breaking down. I wish Microsoft would offer a better fix as it is a material problem, not a maintenance issue. How about a $25 off coupon. I'd spend mine on a new Microsoft mouse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-03T17:29:03+00:00

    Gloria

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    This is what Microsoft's answer is?  Get a new mouse? 

    So Microsoft products, we pay so much money for,  are actually designed to be disposable after 1 year?

    This is the same attitude in management which has orphaned us who happened to purchase a computer during the time only Vista was available.  And Microsoft would not even offer to upgrade or discount to Windows 7.

    Gloria, this is why Apple, Google and the rest are not even looking at Microsoft in the race.  Microsoft is so stuck in the past, no one else cares what you are doing anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-03T19:41:07+00:00

    I had the same problem and it was solved by the alcohol rub. Mouse saved!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T03:08:12+00:00

    I had the same problem with the sides of my Wireless Intellimouse Explorer getting very sticky. The rubbing alcohol treatment worked like a charm! Thanks for the help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments