Windows wireless service is not running on this computer

Anonymous
2010-02-10T22:15:23+00:00

I have a Gateway laptop running 32-bit Vista SP2 I am unable to connect to any wireless networks. One day I had no problems and the next, I am unable to find any networks.  When I attempt to connect to a network I receive a message that Windows can't find any networks.  When the diagnose why link is clicked I get an error dialogue box that "Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer". When the Windows network diagnostics dialogue box appears I click on "Start Windows Wireless Service" and then am told that Windows cannot fix the problem and instructs me to contact my network admin or ISP.

I have tried several fixes from different forums and nothing has worked.  I've run virus scans that haven't detected anything.  Is there a fix for this issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-11T16:44:55+00:00

Hi,

  1. Did you check the status of wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig in services window?
  2. Do you've any security software installed on the computer?
  3. Did you make any changes on the computer recently?

Let's first try to start the wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig service manually. To do this, login to the computer as an administrator.

  1. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.
  2. Locate WLAN AutoConfig service, double click on it to open its properties window.
  3. Under General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start button.
  4. Click Apply and then ok.

Try to connect to the wireless connection and check the result.

If the service still fails to start, then run system file checker tool to scan the computer for corrupt system files and fix them automatically. To run sfc scan, try the steps mentioned in this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

For more information about the wireless settings, check this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878035.aspx

Let us know the result of the above troubleshooting steps, so that we can look into more details and assist you further.

Regards,

Syed V

Microsoft answers support engineer.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-28T20:49:04+00:00

    Thank you! Worked for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-16T17:55:45+00:00

     I changed ownership of the file to "administrator" rather than "system" and this allowed me to replace the file. (Yes, you will get a message saying this will make your system less secure. - Change it back when you are done if you want to... I didn't bother.)

    ...

    P.S. Don't be offended by the term "geek squeak".... the rest of us would be lost without you!

    You can't change ownership back to SYSTEM.  It is an intentional design for security that you can only take ownership, you cannot give it back.  This prevents non-authorized users from taking ownership, getting the file or altering contents then reverting ownership back with the original owner being none the wiser.

    Not offended at all :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-24T04:46:23+00:00

    Hello,

    The thread you're posting in is very old. I recommend creating your own thread at the following location:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/networking

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-01-22T18:00:00+00:00

    Dear All and potential saviour!

    I'm completely new to this community, and found it after getting the WLAN autoconfig / windows wireless service error.  Who knew we'd be so dependent on the internet??  Any help would be gratefully received - thank you.

    1. The windows wireless service wont start (it's on automatic) and I have run the file check scan and there are a number of files it couldn't repair.  
    2. Unsure of how to properly configure the 'take command' and what to copy and paste, I subsequently I have tried to go back to a useful restore point, but there isn't one early enough. 
    3. There are a number of errors associated with WLAN, specifically 'cannot repair member file', 'does not match actual file' and 'could not reproject corrupt file'. 

           -the actual problems are at the bottom of this message-

    Can I:

    • simply reinstall the WLAN card drivers, or am I being too optimistic -  I think my computer skills are advanced enough to do this.....

    Or do I:

    • need to do the whole 'take command' and copy and paste old files to become new ones?
    • I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1150 with a Broadcom Wireless WLAN Half-mini card
    • if I need to do this, is there a genuine step by step guide for a computer novice?

    Finally, there are also a number of other reported errors on the scan, and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned.  Should I?  They are:

     - cannot load manifest (1 file/bit of text)

     - cannot project (2 files/bits of text)

     - cannot verify (8 files/bits of text)

    Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  Best, Tom

    As promised - here are the WLAN associated files:

    2012-01-22 10:47:27, Info CSI    00000191 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" of Microsoft-Windows-WlanSchemas, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

    2012-01-22 10:47:30, InfoCSI    00000193 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" of Microsoft-Windows-WlanSchemas, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

    2012-01-22 10:56:17, Info                  CSI    00000317 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" of Microsoft-Windows-WlanSchemas, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch


    2012-01-22 10:56:18, Info                  CSI    0000031f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" of Microsoft-Windows-WlanSchemas, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

    2012-01-22 10:56:18, Info                  CSI    0000031e Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-wlanschemas_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_09f70e22d614643b\WLAN_profile_v1.xsd do not match actual file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" :

    Found: {l:32 b:47DEQpj8HBSa+/TImW+5JCeuQeRkm5NMpJWZG3hSuFU=} Expected: {l:32 b:A84XRgGw2O85ctwk11v9sj1yZnT3oh6TXJMQ2BS9T1g=}

    2012-01-22 10:56:18, Info                  CSI    00000321 Hashes for file member ??\C:\Windows\L2Schemas\WLAN_profile_v1.xsd do not match actual file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" :

    2012-01-22 10:56:18, Info                  CSI    00000322 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-wlanschemas_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_09f70e22d614643b\WLAN_profile_v1.xsd do not match actual file [l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd" :

    2012-01-22 10:56:18, Info                  CSI    00000323 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:48{24}]"??\C:\Windows\L2Schemas"[l:38{19}]"WLAN_profile_v1.xsd"; source file in store is also corrupted

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments