How to manually arrange folders in windows 7__

Anonymous
2009-10-24T14:09:18+00:00

When i try manually move one folder to be the first i can t whay

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T13:55:54+00:00

Hello ivan099, welcome.

You can manually arrange desktop icons, however, any other icons within folders are auto-arranged and cannot be altered by direct access. You can arrange them in a multitude of different ways by right clicking open space (within a folder) and selecting Sort By > More...

A problem was discovered in Windows XP when users would accidentally manually arrange folders and icons and, in turn, they would overlap eachother. For simplicity's sake and for performance reasons, this feature was removed.

There are a number of 3rd-party programs that exist that allow you to do this, however, they would of course not be supported by Microsoft.

I would search the internet for 'File Manager', 'Alternate Shell', or something of the like. You may find some support forums that have users that specialize in just the exact thing you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Thanks!


Ryan Thieman

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T23:55:07+00:00

    One another note, I always find it interesting that with any criticism of MS, and their experts disappear. :o(

    Leave Windows 7 Feedbackhttp://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

    No MS experts in these peer support forums. Just users like yourself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T23:46:15+00:00

    I'm new to Windows 7, but am finding it a seriously frustrating experience. New operating systems should bring new functionality, not new limits on user's ability to customize their experience.  Bring back some of the basic functionality of XP.

    Give me the ability to file the way I like, manually if I want.  I'm not interested in using Meta data to start a new filing system after years of building files by name, date or other.  Also give me back the ability in a folder to add alphabetic separators the same way I could in XP.

    One another note, I always find it interesting that with any criticism of MS, and their experts disappear. :o(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-19T03:15:34+00:00

    That is truly messed up. Microsoft dumbs down their Windows with each edition to make it more "User friendly"...what a joke.  I should be able to arrange picture folders however I want.

    And what I want is January first not April! I shouldn't need a 3rd party program to do this. I also miss the XP feature that let you edit pictures in the Windows photo viewer. I used to use it to auto correct some of my pictures and to remove red-eye quickly. They are all missing from Windows 7!

    I got my first Apple product this past Christmas and was pleasently surprised by the iPad. It looks like I will be looking at them some more if Microsoft keeps dumbing down their software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-03T20:54:23+00:00

    To ya all,

    That agrees with this LAZY THINKING of the "experts"! I think MS needs to provide us with an update or service pack of some sort to enable us savvy users to modify the windows experience the way we work with ease!!!. Folder view recognition and file sort by dragging within an open folder is essential to any savvy windows user. MS, why change a winning recipe huh? The new era definitely goes for customization of..... well everything. I hope that soon we'll get an update... FOR FREE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments