windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created"

Anonymous
2009-10-29T00:57:14+00:00

I am trying to backup my PC to a USB external mass storage drive using Windows 7 backup feature.

I am getting the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

appreciate any help on this issue

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-13T17:59:08+00:00

I was able to get windows 7 backup to finally work by doing the following:

The error message which I was receiving after windows 7 backup failed was:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

My hard drive has a C and D partition. I am not sure if it was step 1, 2 or 3 below or a combination of all 3 steps that fixed my problem. I would start with step 1 then try to run backup. If that does not work procede to step 2 and try running backup again. If that still does not work go to step 3.  I excecuted all 3 steps prior to attemting my backup so I am not sure which one of the steps actually fixed the problem or if it was a combination of all 3 steps. All these steps together is now allowing me to backup via the windows 7 backup feature. Hopefully the solution will hold up long term.

Step 1:

I ran diskclean on the C and D drive partitions

Step 2:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight D drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Step 3:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight C drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-26T15:38:43+00:00

    Usually this error comes when the 100 MB hidden System Reserved partition created by Windows 7 does not have enough space to store a shadow copy.

    Please check the freespace on this volume. Follow the following steps:

    1. Start -> Computer -> Right click -> Manage
    2. Select Storage -> Disk management.
    3. Verify that you have a System Reserved partition of 100 MB size.
    4. If yes, right click on this volume and select Properties.
    5. View used and free space.

    Windows backup requires around 40 MB of free space on this partition to backup successfully. So if the free space is less than 40 MB, backup does not get enough free space.

    As a workaround try the following solution:

    Resize the partitions to increase the space for the System Reserved partition. 

    I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free and had to reboot.

    Do not try to compress this partition or windows will not boot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-19T06:30:08+00:00

    I posted this on the thread you suggested and it is the quickest and simpliest way that worked for me to get atleast the 40MB needed to create a shodow copy.[A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019]!!!  This is a much quicker way that worked for me. I just right clicked on the 100MB drive in manage my drive view and selected properties..  I checked compress all files and folder on the 100MB and I had to skip 1 or 2 but it went from 30MB to 60MB free space.. Then for the first time it did a full backup....WOW!!!

    Thanks! This was the solution that worked for me as well!

    Now what happens next time? Does this drive accumulate clutter as time goes by? If so, how do we clean the thing without doing something bad to our operating systems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-07T04:00:03+00:00

    Hi,

    Is it safe to delete all restore points? Once I do this,

    will I be able restore my computer from an older backup?

    Thank you in advance hoping that someone can help me to understand the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-12T18:22:09+00:00

    I had this problem all day yesterday.  Nothing was working.  I found a scholarly article with 11 different things you can try to resolve the problem.  I went through all the steps and realized that the problem is a Windows Management utility .dll file has been deleted by our antispyware program.  Not all .dll files are evil and this one is actually necessary. The way to tell if this is causing the problem, when you try to create a system image and save it an external device, you will get a stop error code 800423F3.

    It was easy to fix and recover the dll file.

    1. Go in Command Prompt as an administrator (A lot of ppl are afraid to use Command Prompt, but don't be.  command prompt is nothing more than a black sheet of typing paper. If you can find the command in a forum or tech site or book, just type it in exactly like it says-Exactly.  If you make a mistake the computer won't recognize it any way.)
    2. After the command line, just type net stop winmgmt and hit enter.  It will ask you to confirm. just type y and enter.  (Another way to elicit this same effect, if you are hesitant about command prompt is go to your Control Panel and start a search for Administrative Tools.  Click on that.  Next scroll down to Services and click on that link.  Under Services, scroll down until you see WMI or Windows Management Instrumentation.  It will show it as running, look on the upper left hand side of that screen and click stop or pause.  You are stopping WMI from running for now.
    3. If you are not already in command prompt mode, get into it after you have stopped or paused WMI, and type after the command prompt, regsvr32 wmiutils.dll and hit enter.  You should see a pop up that says you have successfully recovered or registered the .dll file.

    4.  Next, while in command prompt, type net start winmgmt and hit enter.  (Alternatively, you can go back in to Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services-Windows Management Instrumentation and click on Start to start it back up.  Either way, you should see beside WMI "running".

    5.  Also while you are in Administrative Tools-Services-scroll to the "Vs" and look for Volume Shadow Copy.  It may have been toggled off by some strange coincidences.  It should also say "running".  If it is not, look on the upper left hand corner of the screen and click on start.  For some reason VSS had been cut off in my system.  I don't know how.  I never knew how to access all of this until yesterday which makes me think that malware or a virus had attacked all of this.

    6.  After making any changes, restart your computer. I got a little scared at this point.  It seemed like my computer was taking a really long time to restart, but when it did everything was working fine.

    Another thing, when you are getting ready to burn an image or do a back up to your external HDD, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software.  In my case I'm running ZoneAlarm.  Sometimes your antivirus and it's back up capabilities will trump your Windows back up VSS application. But don't forget to go back and restart your antivirus/firewall. 

    I was able to go back and burn a system image to my external HDD.

    Here is the link to the article I read:

    http://backupchain.com/en/vss-troubleshooting-guide/ or do a search for Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) error troubleshooting guide.  This worked.  I even contacted Microsoft's Online Help chat and their tech couldn't identify or fix the problem.  They were going to escalate me at the cost of $149 which I don't have.  I'm glad I did my homework and researched this first.  Just follow the steps in the article carefully and step by step.  I was able to fix the problem.  If I can, anyone can.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments