Display folder sizes in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2010-07-08T15:02:20+00:00

I am trying to get folder size to display in the Details pane in Windows Explorer (in Vista).  When I had Windows XP (professional edition), it would display this down there, but not so with Vista.  In XP I could just click on a folder, and the size of the folder would be in the Details pane, but Vista doesn't do this.  (The only drawback was that the size of subfolders was not included there, only the size of the individual files in that folder; but just expanding the folder in the navigation pane, and then clicking on each subfolder, would allow me to figure this out.)  I will be leaving my office soon, and want to get an idea of the size of the files I want to carry with me (and how many CD's I might need--can't use USB memory drives on govt. system) when I go.  I have looked through Windows Help, but I can't find the answer to this question.  Anyone?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T23:42:30+00:00

Thesize is in the tooltip for a folder

--

..

--

"Arclight56" wrote in message news:2a687649-c233-4553-a1a8-4f3de6ab5cba...

>I am trying to get folder size to display in the Details pane in Windows

>Explorer (in Vista). When I had Windows XP (professional edition), it

>would display this down there, but not so with Vista. In XP I could just

>click on a folder, and the size of the folder would be in the Details pane,

>but Vista doesn't do this. (The only drawback was that the size of

>subfolders was not included there, only the size of the individual files in

>that folder; but just expanding the folder in the navigation pane, and then

>clicking on each subfolder, would allow me to figure this out.) I will be

>leaving my office soon, and want to get an idea of the size of the files I

>want to carry with me (and how many CD's I might need--can't use USB memory

>drives on govt. system) when I go. I have looked through Windows Help, but

>I can't find the answer to this question. Anyone?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T17:16:32+00:00

Right click on the Folder and click on properties and it will show you the number of files, the number of folders, the sizes of each and other such details.  You can also hover your mouse over the folder and it will show tooltips which include the sie (but not so much information as properties).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!


Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-30T23:07:27+00:00

    All these comments are just comments.  They do not resolve the problem.  I wonder if Microsoft reads any of these comments - they certainly don't seem to care about them.  Their HELP is practically useless, telling the user to so their own search, read forums, etc. instead of providing ANSWERS like they used to prior to Windows 10.

     I WANT TO KNOW THE COMPLETE SIZE OF A FOLDER WITH LOTS OF FOLDERS WITHIN IT.  THERE ARE MANY REASONS I WANT THIS, AND I DON'T WANT TO STOP WHAT I'M DOING TO OPEN "PROPERTIES", ETC.  I WANT MICROSOFT TO PUT THIS FEATURE BACK INTO WINDOWS 10 - NOW!

    I understand Windows 10 is supposed to be the final version of Windows, plus updates along the way, so I hope Microsoft will stop DELETING features like this one which was included in previous Windows versions, and start giving the users the features they want and had, and act like they care about us!

    There are other O/Ss around, and if this keeps up, Microsoft may not continue to be a leader of O/S systems/users.

    PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T03:58:04+00:00

    Three years later, still waiting!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T18:45:32+00:00

    Macs show folder size next to each folder too, This stupid Windows laptop I have from my job wont do it, frustrated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments