Display folder sizes in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2010-07-08T15:02:20+00:00

I am trying to get folder size to display in the Details pane in Windows Explorer (in Vista).  When I had Windows XP (professional edition), it would display this down there, but not so with Vista.  In XP I could just click on a folder, and the size of the folder would be in the Details pane, but Vista doesn't do this.  (The only drawback was that the size of subfolders was not included there, only the size of the individual files in that folder; but just expanding the folder in the navigation pane, and then clicking on each subfolder, would allow me to figure this out.)  I will be leaving my office soon, and want to get an idea of the size of the files I want to carry with me (and how many CD's I might need--can't use USB memory drives on govt. system) when I go.  I have looked through Windows Help, but I can't find the answer to this question.  Anyone?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T23:42:30+00:00

Thesize is in the tooltip for a folder

--

..

--

"Arclight56" wrote in message news:2a687649-c233-4553-a1a8-4f3de6ab5cba...

>I am trying to get folder size to display in the Details pane in Windows

>Explorer (in Vista). When I had Windows XP (professional edition), it

>would display this down there, but not so with Vista. In XP I could just

>click on a folder, and the size of the folder would be in the Details pane,

>but Vista doesn't do this. (The only drawback was that the size of

>subfolders was not included there, only the size of the individual files in

>that folder; but just expanding the folder in the navigation pane, and then

>clicking on each subfolder, would allow me to figure this out.) I will be

>leaving my office soon, and want to get an idea of the size of the files I

>want to carry with me (and how many CD's I might need--can't use USB memory

>drives on govt. system) when I go. I have looked through Windows Help, but

>I can't find the answer to this question. Anyone?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T17:16:32+00:00

Right click on the Folder and click on properties and it will show you the number of files, the number of folders, the sizes of each and other such details.  You can also hover your mouse over the folder and it will show tooltips which include the sie (but not so much information as properties).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!


Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-15T14:26:04+00:00

    Well, hovering the mouse does show the size (so it isn't entirely removed), but it is not always accurate and I don't think it shows the size including all sub-directories - but that information is a right click away in properties (including the number of files which this program doesn't address in the available features (though it may have it).  I should also mention it isnot free - you get a 10 day trial after which you have to pay for it (or are automatically charged - I don't know how that works).  It is also a totally separate program - it is not an add-on to Windows Explorer (so some features of Windows Explorer including window views and thumbnails and such are not available with this product and you may find you need to switch back and forth

    • I don't think you'll find it to be a suitable replacement just because of this additional displayed information).  I suppose the 10-day free trial makes it somewhat risk-free to check it out (as long as you keep in mind when you need to cancel to avoid paying for it if it doesn't fit the bill).

    Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T09:15:51+00:00

    If you hover your cursor over a folder, does it not show you the size of that folder ?

    t-4-2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments