Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T22:03:58+00:00

    Thank you joelj1964!

    It worked, keep up the great work and have a great rest of the day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T21:54:41+00:00

    To all those experiencing "open with " issues. Click on the link below and run FixExe. This will solve the problem of exe association. If the run32.dll file is corrupt or misssing follow the instructions below to replace the file.

    exe.fix

    Missing or corrupt run32.dll

    Right click on Start > Search. Type rundll32.exe in the field for files to be searched for. Choose to search your primary drive (usually C). Enable Search Hidden Files and Folder from Advanced Features. Click on Search button to begin the search. In the list of results, locate the rundll32 file associated with C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Right click on rundll32 to the left of the aformentioned directory and choose "Open folder location". The rundll32.exe file should be hightlighted when the folder opens. Right click on the file and choose copy. Next, in the search results list, right click on rundll32 that corresponds to C\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe and choose "Open folder location". Again the file should be highlighted. Right click on the file and choose delete. Right click again in a free space within the folder and choose paste. If this does not solve your problem you may need to get a windows os disk and extract the file from there.


    Sometimes deciding which battle to fight is the toughest battle of all….. Please visit my website @ http://repairbotsonline.weebly.com/ If I can take the time to answer you can take the time to vote to enable others to find solutions easier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T21:35:50+00:00

    Heres my question:

    When i do "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Type assoc .exe=exefile" it asks me what application i want to use to execute this. Isnt waht i need the "Rundll32.exe" is that what runs these programs?

    I am kind stuck since i do not have my disc and everytime i try and use a registrey program i have to tell it what program to use to run. Trueky it is agrivationg, can you help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-02T13:56:33+00:00

    ....

    What is this "command.com" that BurrWalnut mentions, if I try first suggestion and need to try this, what is it, where do I find it?

    ...help...

    If you cannot follow my instructions above, it might be better if you asked someone, perhaps a friend, to help you run the two programs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments