Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-11T02:33:02+00:00

    This worked perfectly thank you so much for the info......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T03:12:55+00:00

    well im glad it worked for you cause its not for me mines junk lol

    What's not working for you? Tell me your problems. I am hear to listen and solve them.. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T01:44:49+00:00

    well im glad it worked for you cause its not for me mines junk lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-29T21:48:00+00:00

    Yes, the problem continues. I found a copy of the rundll32.exe and copied it to the C:\windows\system32 folder, overwriting the file there, but I still am unable to run most programs (including Malwarebytes) and things in the Control Panel.  Some programs I can open by right clicking and selecting "run as..".  This doesn't work on Control Panel items. 

    What should I try next?

    Some things are working now.  I got Malwarebytes to run by renaming MBAM.exe to MBAM.com and using "run as" on MBAM.com. (This was a suggestion on Malwarebytes.org Support) Updated and now running a scan.  One bad file on first scan (before updating), but now doing a complete scan.

    I also got other programs to run - Outlook Express, most importantly - by using the FixExe link you provided.  Fortunately, internet explorer has been working most of the time. 

    After Malwarebytes finishes, I'll try a reboot and see if things continue to work better. 

    TechGeek2 - Thanks much for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments