"Enter Network Password" pop-up won't stop appearing, how do you stop this?? Outlook 2007 checking aol account.

Anonymous
2010-02-19T18:48:21+00:00

OK, I know that this question has been asked before here and other places but I have tried many things and still cannot get it to stop.

I am using Outlook 2007 to access my aol email account. Up until recently it has been working fine with none or very few problems. All of a sudden this week, the "Enter Network Password" window keeps chronically popping up with all the fields populated already, but you have to click ok to make it go away. This would happen once in a blue moon in the past, maybe once every 3 weeks to a month and then not happen again for a while. But as of this week, it is happening about once every 5 minutes to an hour all day every day. (Happened twice since I started typing this so far.) To say that this is incredibly annoying doesn't even begin to describe it! To further annoy me, I have a rule set up in Outlook where certain emails get forwarded to my work address while I'm not home, and when this box pops up here at home while I'm at work, nothing gets forwarded, nothing happens anywhere since I'm not there to click ok on the darn box!

OK, to cut to the chase, I have Windows XP here with Outlook 2007, and I have it checking my aol email. All settings have been checked and tested and are the exact same as when it was running fine. Some other things that may help to know, I have McAfee Antivirus on the computer and a Belkin F5D8235-4 N+ Wireless Router. I've had the McAfee AV for many years with no problems and I have had the router hooked up since November 2009 with no problems up until now that is.

Here's what I have tried so far, all have failed to help at all: (I figured I would tell you what already has been attempted and did not work so we don't waste time on them.)

  1. Created a new Outlook profile. Did not stop the pop-ups.
  2. Ran Outlook in safe mode so non-Microsoft services wouldn't run. Did not stop the pop-ups.
  3. Backed up registry and removed user account information from the "Protected Storage System Provider" subkey, then re-entered password options. Did not stop pop-ups.
  4. Disabled email protection in McAfee. Did not stop pop-ups. (Just got another one! Ugh.)
  5. Rebooted/Restarted router. Did not stop pop-ups.

I'm currently at the "I got nothin'" point as to what should be tried next.

Does anyone have any idea what it can be aside from what I've already tried?

I am totally at wit's end here and it's driving me crazy. Anyone have some ideas??

Jim.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-06T18:24:54+00:00

Update for me.

Since I changed my mail-checking intervals from 5 to 10 minutes, there was vast improvement in this problem. For quite a while it virtually disappeared, it was just like the good old days when it pretty much never happened.

A couple of days this past week the problem came back with a vengeance, just as bad as when it was peaking when I started this thread. But I went onto google and found a lot of internet chatter hinting that it appeared to be a network-wide aol issue at their end, since many people nationwide were having the same problems. So it sounds like I would've been getting the pop-ups regardless.

It seems like for about the past week, aol themselves have been having significant problems with their email systems based on internet feedback out there from other customers, therefore it's making this problem much more difficult to troubleshoot since now you don't know exactly what the root cause of the pop-ups is until aol gets their end of it solved. I can definitely tell you that raising the time intervals for send/receive from 5 to 10 minutes did seem to go a very long way towards solving the problems with the pop-ups. Even though I'm still getting them, here and there, I think the ones I have been getting lately have been due to problems at aol's end more so than mine, based on other aol user's feedback. I'm hopeful that I might be at the end of the tunnel regarding this issue but thanks to what's going on at thier end (aol) I can't say for certain yet. I'll keep you posted.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-24T17:42:18+00:00

    Same question as the poster above - how frequently do you have Outlook configured to check the AOL mail?

    Do you have Service Pack 2 for Office 2007 installed? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B444BF18-79EA-46C6-8A81-9DB49B4AB6E5&displaylang=en)


    -B-

    http://www.officeforlawyers.com

    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-24T17:15:11+00:00

    The enter network password pop up used to happen infrequently to me. 

    Now it is driving me crazy.  Within the past week I have had my AOL username password changed 4 times, followed all the MS Outlook 2007 guidance and the problem persists.  As if the frequent pop up annoyance was not enough, yesterday I created a new Outlook email account and what a disaster.  I suddenly doubled my email entries.  Horrific, as I deleted more than I intended.

    What options are left?  Why should I have to pay for Outlook service or is that the only option?

    Does Microsoft monitor and reply to these Forums???

    pilatestrainer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-22T17:39:46+00:00

    Hello StingrayJG,

    Well, we won't know if it is something on AOL's end until you ask....;-)  http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

    If I were the AOL postmaster, I'd try to eliminate needless network traffic and server load by rejecting email check requests that are unreasonably frequent, and every minute sure qualifies as that.

    If I were you, I'd change the frequency to something closer to 15 minutes, which IIRC is what Outlook has set as its default.

    I'm not sure why you have a rule to forward your AOL emails to work.  Have you conisdered:

    1.  Checking your aol email from work via the aol web browser interface (assuming you cannot insyall the main AOL client program on your computer at work).

    2.  Checking your aol email from work using Outlook*** installed on your work computer?  If you are concerned that you'd then be downloading the email files to the work computer and woul not have them available to you at home, set up Outlook to get your aol mail via imap, which leaves the mail on the server (something in the back of my mind says this is the default for having Outlook get aol mail anyway...)  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010936921033.aspx

    3.   ***if you don't have Outlook at work, try Windows Live Mail, it's a very competent free email program .


    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

    Where I work, AOL is blocked in all it's forms. (Mail, chat, IM, etc.) So I don't have that option. For a while some "workaround" programs worked, like mail2web.com, but now they are all blocked as well. If I wanted to get my aol mail at work, the last alternative that I had was the Outlook rule forwarding my home mail to work address. I turn it on just before leaving the house and turn it off as soon as I get home. Then at work I have an Outlook rule that put anything coming from my home address into a separate folder when it arrived, so my inbox wouldn't become a messy hodge-podge of mixed home and work emails. The system works ok, provided I do not get these pop ups which freezes the home email while I'm not there to fix it. I think I'm going to try to keep it at a five minute interval and if it remains problematic I'll try bumping it up higher to maybe 10 minutes. Thanks for all your help guys. It's nice to know you are here to help when it's needed. I'll keep you posted on how things go for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-22T16:38:18+00:00

    Hello StingrayJG,

    Well, we won't know if it is something on AOL's end until you ask....;-)  http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

    If I were the AOL postmaster, I'd try to eliminate needless network traffic and server load by rejecting email check requests that are unreasonably frequent, and every minute sure qualifies as that.

    If I were you, I'd change the frequency to something closer to 15 minutes, which IIRC is what Outlook has set as its default.

    I'm not sure why you have a rule to forward your AOL emails to work.  Have you conisdered:

    1.  Checking your aol email from work via the aol web browser interface (assuming you cannot insyall the main AOL client program on your computer at work).

    2.  Checking your aol email from work using Outlook*** installed on your work computer?  If you are concerned that you'd then be downloading the email files to the work computer and woul not have them available to you at home, set up Outlook to get your aol mail via imap, which leaves the mail on the server (something in the back of my mind says this is the default for having Outlook get aol mail anyway...)  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010936921033.aspx

    3.   ***if you don't have Outlook at work, try Windows Live Mail, it's a very competent free email program .


    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments