Output to 2 sound cards Simultaneously

Anonymous
2010-02-08T01:06:27+00:00

I have many reasons why I would want to output to multiple sound cards simultaneously. I know I am not the only one who was this problem based on a couple quick bing searches. 

I would like to be able to output sound to multiple sound cards at the same time instead of having to switch the "default device" in the audio panel all the time I want them ALL to be the default device. I want to use my USB headset and my speakers at the same time. I know windows is capable of this because while one is playing I can "test" the other and they both play sound at the same time

As far as I know there is simply no setting for this. PLEASE HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-08T20:07:19+00:00

Hi,

Unfortunately this cannot be accomplished, as it is by-design,

Here only one device can be marked as default device, for more information follow these below steps.

  1. Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box.
  2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
  3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device.

As this is a by-design issue, there would be nothing much we can do from our end.

If you want to suggest change in the design here is the link you can refer to:  Microsoft Connect - Product Feedback and Bug Reporting | Microsoft...

https://connect.microsoft.com/dashboard/info/ 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-10T17:05:24+00:00

    Hi,

    with VAC, are the two output channels you create exactly in sync? or does your headsets for example play music a second or two earlier or later than your speakers (other device)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T19:59:19+00:00

    Nevermind, it was a typo on my part. Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T19:57:06+00:00

    Thank you very much for the batch file. Saved me all kinds of time.

    But my audio output devices have names that are over 31 letters. The names listed in Audio Repeater are truncated, and when I try to use the truncated name in the batch file, it can't find the output device. Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-30T05:09:08+00:00

    The ugliest part about Virtual Audio Cable is you cannot set it up to do this for you automatically each time windows boots. It has no command line driven interface or anything.

    Wrong!

    First, thank you so much for making me discover Virtual Audio Cable. This little program accomplished exactly what Microsoft failed to include by design in Windows 7. I use it as you showed, the default output device of Windows is the "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" virtual device created by VAC; and I open as many instances of the "Audio Repeater" program as I have physical device to output audio to (one for each). Works perfectly! Worth the 30$.

    But here is an improvement from the "Do It Again" part. Instead of using this additional program, it is to be noted that the "Audio Repeater" program DOES SUPPORT PARAMETERS (ver. 4.10). Here's the list from the "vac.chm" help file:

    /Input:<str>

    /Output:<str>

    /SamplingRate:<num>

    /BitsPerSample:<num>

    /Channels:<num>

    /ChanCfg:<str>

    /BufferMs:<num>

    /Buffers:<num>

    /Priority:<str>

    /WindowName:<str>

    /AutoStart

    /CloseInstance:<str>

    With this information we can now create a batch file. Here's an example of mine:

    @ECHO OFF

    start /MIN "AR1" "C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /Output:"NAME_OF_YOUR_OUTPUT_DEVICE1_AS_IT_APPEARS_IN_AUDIO_REPEATER(WAVE_OUT)" /ChanCfg:"Stereo" /Priority:"Realtime" /AutoStart

    start /MIN "AR2" "C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /Output:"NAME_OF_YOUR_OUTPUT_DEVICE2_AS_IT_APPEARS_IN_AUDIO_REPEATER(WAVE_OUT)" /ChanCfg:"5.1 surround" /Priority:"Realtime" /AutoStart

    start /MIN "AR3" "C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /Output:"NAME_OF_YOUR_OUTPUT_DEVICE3_AS_IT_APPEARS_IN_AUDIO_REPEATER(WAVE_OUT)" /ChanCfg:"5.1 surround" /Priority:"Realtime" /AutoStart

    So this could be a way of doing it. Works perfectly for me. I've noted a slight lag between device if the priority isn't set to Realtime. The "start /MIN" part is optionnal but lets the applications start already minimized in the system tray, which I find convenient if you store your .BAT file in your startup folder.

    Feel free to ask questions if you feel you need more clarifications.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments