Output to 2 sound cards Simultaneously

Anonymous
2010-02-08T01:06:27+00:00

I have many reasons why I would want to output to multiple sound cards simultaneously. I know I am not the only one who was this problem based on a couple quick bing searches. 

I would like to be able to output sound to multiple sound cards at the same time instead of having to switch the "default device" in the audio panel all the time I want them ALL to be the default device. I want to use my USB headset and my speakers at the same time. I know windows is capable of this because while one is playing I can "test" the other and they both play sound at the same time

As far as I know there is simply no setting for this. PLEASE HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-08T20:07:19+00:00

Hi,

Unfortunately this cannot be accomplished, as it is by-design,

Here only one device can be marked as default device, for more information follow these below steps.

  1. Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box.
  2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
  3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device.

As this is a by-design issue, there would be nothing much we can do from our end.

If you want to suggest change in the design here is the link you can refer to:  Microsoft Connect - Product Feedback and Bug Reporting | Microsoft...

https://connect.microsoft.com/dashboard/info/ 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-26T19:02:30+00:00

    I just read through all the previous posts here and I am amazed at the spectacular display of complete ignorance (dictionary definition - lack of experience or education) displayed therein.

    While my purpose for installing two identical sound cards in my desktop computer is different from many of the situations described in the previous posts - I am interested in routing the sound output into two discrete quadraphonic sound systems from Cubase.  HOWEVER, the issue of installing and configuring two sound cards on a single computer is the topic under discussion here, so here is what I have learned from my recent (this past week) personal experience.

    I installed two identical PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound cards in my computer running Windows 7 SP1.  I was concerned about potential conflicts, etc, but Windows 7 automatically configured the two sound cards to have different configurations and I was able to access all four stereo systems (two quad systems as I wished) SIMULTANEOUSLY (I had no need to change anything except the stereo system by clicking on it) in the Sound panel dialog box from the Control Panel.  I was able to select any of the stereo systems as the default simply by designating them as such.

    With that issue resolved successfully I then opened up Cubase LE 6 and discovered that Cubase had also configured both sound cards independently and that I could access ALL of the outputs on the sound cards simultaneously and IN SYNC.  The latency issue is a prime one in outputting to all the speakers but that issue has not appeared in anything I have attempted to make it appear.

    I do realize that my situation differs from many of the previous posts but the ease with which Windows 7  SP1 installed and configured both sound cards to allow me to access all outputs on both sound cards simultaneously tells me that every single one of the previous suggestions lacks that grain of truth!!!!! 

    And while I do possess several computer certifications, A+ and MCSA among them, I had no need to do anything except install the sound cards in the motherboard and start my computer.  Which clearly completely eliminates ANY suggestions to use additional hardware/software to access them.   So I am completely unable to understand any of the problems I read about in previous posts in that regard. 

    Again, my situation is different from others mentioned in the previous posts but the fact that Windows 7 SP1 did everything to install and configure the two sound cards AUTOMATICALLY I fail to understand the issues mentioned regarding the problems to make that happen.

    I probably also should mention that I run a digital multimedia studio with 6 computers and my music computer is dedicated to ONLY music composition and nothing else as I have other computers to handle video, animation, graphics, online, etc so I do not need to try to configure that computer to do more than output to the stereo quadraphonic configuration I have mentioned.  I also do not need to install additional components/software on that same computer that might interfere with the ease of configuration and use of two sound cards.

    I see the desire to have a computer do more than one thing as the element that has created the majority of the problems I have read in the previous posts.  And I DO understand the cost factor of having more than one computer as the culprit that causes people to try to configure a single computer to perform more than one function.

    BUT, if you REALLY want to have a computer perform more than one (or two) functions that require completely different configurations of any kind you should EXPECT that you will have to REconfigure that computer EVERY time you change that function - that is the lesson that caused me to have multiple computers in my studio.  That is exactly what I was referring to in my first sentence - a lack of education and experience. 

    Hopefully my comments will inform you as to the details regarding this situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-24T23:47:58+00:00

    I found better solution.

    go to:

    -playback devices (sound)

    -Recording

    right click and (show disabled devices)

    then enable "Stereo Mix"

    and set Stereo Mix as default

    right click to stereo mix

    properties and "Listen"

    mark "Listen to the device"

    and set "HDMI Output..."

    hit OK


    and VOILA

    It worked for me

    great solution man. THX. they should put this in windows FAQ :)

    Yes, very good solution..downside, and it may only be with my onboard and the other sound card, there seems to be a delay between my 2 devices

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-07T19:22:18+00:00

    Go to Monoprice.com, buy an HDMI  splitter &  appropriate cords/adaptors & you are home free!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-07T18:46:47+00:00

    Actually; it's not broken as he stated; and it can't be fixed...

    Do you expect the people who designed Microsoft to come here and answer your question or a modest developer (who is almost like a messenger in this situation)?

    When he is saying it's "By design" it means that's the way things were made and the way they are; it's more simple then getting on and starting to "code some errors" to "fix" this problem.  Instead; it would be a whole new feature, which would require trial, error, money, etc...

    I'm speaking as modestly as I can for the Microsoft employee here, and I hope it helps you view his end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments