Output to 2 sound cards Simultaneously

Anonymous
2010-02-08T01:06:27+00:00

I have many reasons why I would want to output to multiple sound cards simultaneously. I know I am not the only one who was this problem based on a couple quick bing searches. 

I would like to be able to output sound to multiple sound cards at the same time instead of having to switch the "default device" in the audio panel all the time I want them ALL to be the default device. I want to use my USB headset and my speakers at the same time. I know windows is capable of this because while one is playing I can "test" the other and they both play sound at the same time

As far as I know there is simply no setting for this. PLEASE HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-08T20:07:19+00:00

Hi,

Unfortunately this cannot be accomplished, as it is by-design,

Here only one device can be marked as default device, for more information follow these below steps.

  1. Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box.
  2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
  3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device.

As this is a by-design issue, there would be nothing much we can do from our end.

If you want to suggest change in the design here is the link you can refer to:  Microsoft Connect - Product Feedback and Bug Reporting | Microsoft...

https://connect.microsoft.com/dashboard/info/ 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T12:43:58+00:00

    It is posible but very difficult to set up and you risk to have conflicts between the two devices.

    You can, for example, use your on-board sound for Windows Sounds and a soundcard or other device for an app that ALLOWS you to choose an input/output device (a DAW, for example, WMP (I beleive).

    It is also possible to connect from the line out of your on-board device (line out) to the other device (line in) to record streaming audio.

    My personal experience is to advise against it unless you really know what you're doing.

    Good luck,

    Jerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T02:48:16+00:00

    Hi all,

    Pulseaudio seems to have been ported on Windows XP, but first, it was a pre-alpha work (if I well understood) and second, Microsoft seems to have changed something in the way the sound stream are handled since Vista, therefore, PulseAudio under Windows is broken.

    I think that Microsoft should give a try to implement it, as said before, on Ubuntu it works flawlessly but needs a good GUI.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-14T20:14:01+00:00

    Well, maybe Skype just sends its output to *all* the sound cards except to just the default one. A solution to the problem could be if *someone* made an application that installed a "virtual" default sound card device, allowing to redirect the sound that is played on the "virtual" device to other (configurable) devices. In other words, this limitation is not "by design" -- it just hasn't been built by Microsoft.

    Something similar is done by PulseAudio (which, according to their own website, runs under Win32 -- but I have only seen it run on Linux): with it, you create  sinks and sources that can be interconnected in a number of ways; the sinks and sources are things like applications that "produce" sound streams and sound cards that "consume" sound streams. At times, configuring it exactly the way you want is not very simple -- but once you learn how to use it, it works quite well. I can watch a movie together with someone else, me with my USB headphones (= a differend sound card) and she with her analog head phones.

    Want to try it out? Type key words "ubuntu" and "livecd" in a search engine of your preference, and you can download (for free) an entire operating system installation on a single CD/DVD. You can take this for a spin without changing anything on your hard drive. Or, you can take the dive and try to install pulseaudio on Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-03T20:22:51+00:00

    When skype openes it playes a sound on all sound cards. Why is that possible?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments