Output to 2 sound cards Simultaneously

Anonymous
2010-02-08T01:06:27+00:00

I have many reasons why I would want to output to multiple sound cards simultaneously. I know I am not the only one who was this problem based on a couple quick bing searches. 

I would like to be able to output sound to multiple sound cards at the same time instead of having to switch the "default device" in the audio panel all the time I want them ALL to be the default device. I want to use my USB headset and my speakers at the same time. I know windows is capable of this because while one is playing I can "test" the other and they both play sound at the same time

As far as I know there is simply no setting for this. PLEASE HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-08T20:07:19+00:00

Hi,

Unfortunately this cannot be accomplished, as it is by-design,

Here only one device can be marked as default device, for more information follow these below steps.

  1. Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box.
  2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
  3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device.

As this is a by-design issue, there would be nothing much we can do from our end.

If you want to suggest change in the design here is the link you can refer to:  Microsoft Connect - Product Feedback and Bug Reporting | Microsoft...

https://connect.microsoft.com/dashboard/info/ 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-20T05:59:54+00:00

    Hello All, 

    I just wanted to chime in here and hope that I can help.

    As others have noted, Virtual Audio Cable ( http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm ) is a neat little app that will allow you two run two instances of it and channel the audio out into two different sound cards.

    This is simply what I, personally, need for my media enter computer to do audio output with the HDMI cable to my receiver/speakers as well as to a little wireless audio USB "sound card" that outputs to a speaker than I can carry around and put in different areas of my home when I have folks over listening to music on the patio for example.

    For Windows 7, this is what I did.

    1. You can install VAC
    2. Go into the WINDOWS sound settings and set the newly installed Virtual Audio Cable as the default one for everything by right-clicking on it and setting it.
    3. Run the audiorepeater.exe program that comes with it, set it to the 1st sound card that you want audio to go to, click start, and minimize it.
    4. Do the same as #3 except point it to your 2nd sound card that you want audio to go out to.

    Voila! It works!  But keep reading....


    But... For a purist like me, this is ugly and unacceptable.

    The ugliest part about Virtual Audio Cable is you cannot set it up to do this for you automatically each time windows boots. It has no command line driven interface or anything.

    What in the **** were the guys at Virtual Audio Cable thinking? Kinda sucks to have to do that by hand every time, right? Well, wrong.

    I found yet another little handy app (this one is 100% free) called Do It Again ( http://www.spacetornado.com/DoItAgain/ ). No app ware or any **** on it.. just a good simple light weight app for free. That 's really nice of them considering Virtual Audio Cable wants $20. You have to have it if you want to do this next trick so go download it!

    With this app you can record yourself opening the audiorepeater.exe and selecting a few options, clicking start, and then minimizing it (to the system tray, thank god for that at least) and then do it with the 2nd audio device as well. This is a macro record app that will then allow you to repeat this process after a reboot so that you don't have to do it.

    STILL pretty ugly, really, but it works pretty well for me. I don't get to hear the Windows 7 boot music/sounds, but whatever. Once it is into windows and my batch file fires off, it waits 10 seconds, then launches the Do It Yourself macro that we just made and it does all key and mouse strokes that we did but much faster and all of this happens in just a few quick seconds.

    So if you are like me and boot your media center PC and just do something else before it all gets ready, then you will love this setup.

    I created a windows shortcut to the "C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" that just sits on the c: called C:\AR.lnk (this will make more sense in a second...)

    You then go into the Do It Again program and create a new macro/task. For this case, we simply need to get it to start recording you and do this:

    START RECORDING THE MACRO

    1. Hit [WINDOWS KEY on KEYBOARD]
    2. type C:\ar [ENTER]
    3. You then use the mouse to split your audio channel off in to your 1st device and click start and minimize it.
    4. Then, you do the same thing again for the 2nd device.

    DONE RECORDING THE MACRO

    Bam. Your macro is recorded.

    The next cool thing about Do It Again is that it can take all the slow downs that you did and fix them so that when you run the macro it goes much faster. Now you see why I had you create that shortcut link earlier on the C: as it creates less typing when launching the app. So go up to Options- Set Pause Time Length. 0.1 seconds worked great for me as a setting in there. Make sure to check the "Normalize All Pauses" check box as well on the options menu. Also, you want to associate the .dia files with Do It Yourself on the options menu. If it doesn't associate them correctly, just associate the files in windows to the .EXE for Do It Yourself.

    I then created a .BAT file with two commands in it. If you don't know what a BAT file is in windows, it is very easy. It is just a TXT file that has a BAT file extension on it instead. One command just waits 5 seconds. The other command simply launches the cool macro we made in Do It Yourself. That macro then takes off and sets all this junk up for us each time windows starts and minimizes it to the tray and ends itself. You never know the difference. It is as if you did it by hand,,, but you didn't. Automation is the reason computers are here I guess... Although having to do it like this is pretty lame to be honest.

    Here is the contents of the A.BAT file I have on my C:

    PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 5000 NUL

    "C:\Program Files\Do It Again Macro Recorder\VirtualAudioCable.dia"

    That PING command is just a trick to get it to wait 5 seconds.

    The second line shells the macro you recorded in the Do it Again Macro Recorder and off it goes to make your life easier. The "VirtualAudioCable.dia" part needs to be called Whatever you named for macro in the Do It Yourself program.

    I then added that .BAT file into the Startup menu under Programs in windows. If you never knew what that Startup folder in there did all this time, it just allows you to put a link of any kind in there and it will launch it for you when windows starts. So, we put in the .BAT file we just saved with those two command lines up above in it. I now enjoy music all through the house and outside of the house as well when we are sitting around the patio drinking and talking. Can't beat it. Thanks Microsoft. Not EVERYONE is trying to steal audio or whatever your fear is on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T12:43:58+00:00

    It is posible but very difficult to set up and you risk to have conflicts between the two devices.

    You can, for example, use your on-board sound for Windows Sounds and a soundcard or other device for an app that ALLOWS you to choose an input/output device (a DAW, for example, WMP (I beleive).

    It is also possible to connect from the line out of your on-board device (line out) to the other device (line in) to record streaming audio.

    My personal experience is to advise against it unless you really know what you're doing.

    Good luck,

    Jerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T02:48:16+00:00

    Hi all,

    Pulseaudio seems to have been ported on Windows XP, but first, it was a pre-alpha work (if I well understood) and second, Microsoft seems to have changed something in the way the sound stream are handled since Vista, therefore, PulseAudio under Windows is broken.

    I think that Microsoft should give a try to implement it, as said before, on Ubuntu it works flawlessly but needs a good GUI.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-03T20:22:51+00:00

    When skype openes it playes a sound on all sound cards. Why is that possible?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments