Can I import MPEG-4 files into Windows Movie Maker in Windows Vista?

Anonymous
2009-08-16T21:07:02+00:00

Windows Media Player 11 recognizes and plays MPEG-4 just fine but WMM doesn't recognize them.  I would like to import some MPEG-4 files into Movie Maker and work with them - is there a codecs or something that allows this? 

I'm sure I can find a program to convert MP4 into a format MM will recognize but if possible I'd like to just skip the conversion step and work with MP4 directly in MM.

Thanks!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-17T00:51:03+00:00

Windows Media Player 11 recognizes and plays MPEG-4 just fine but WMM doesn't recognize them.  I would like to import some MPEG-4 files into Movie Maker and work with them - is there a codecs or something that allows this? 

I'm sure I can find a program to convert MP4 into a format MM will recognize but if possible I'd like to just skip the conversion step and work with MP4 directly in MM.

Thanks!

====================================================

Movie Maker is not compatible with MP4 files...

best bet would be to convert them to .wmv.

The following freebie might be worth a try:

Format Factory

http://www.pcfreetime.com/

All to MP4 / 3GP / MPG / AVI / WMV / FLV / SWF.

All to MP3 / WMA / AMR / OGG / AAC / WAV.

All to JPG / BMP / PNG / TIF / ICO / GIF / TGA.


John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-05T23:53:27+00:00

    [Complaint mode on]

    My Vista-based computer has once again lost the ability to use MP4's in Movie Maker and Movie Maker Live.  An update screwed up the codecs, again.  I miss the old days when Bill Gates made sure that Microsoft software simply ran.  Microsoft should stop allowing this to happen.  I have also lost codec availability to old AVI files, and Microsoft invented the AVI format!  I am very disappointed with the way that Windows

    There is one piece of software available that handles just about every video format on the planet:  YouTube.  Google is now doing what Microsoft used to do.  Hey, Microsoft, wake up, before you finish feeding your lunch to your competition.

    [Complaint mode off]

    I am downloading the recommended converter software, since I don't have any choice at this point.  Thanks, all, for pointing me to it.

    =========================

    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

    Try converting to the .WMV format and you may have a better result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-05T14:48:25+00:00

    [Complaint mode on]

    My Vista-based computer has once again lost the ability to use MP4's in Movie Maker and Movie Maker Live.  An update screwed up the codecs, again.  I miss the old days when Bill Gates made sure that Microsoft software simply ran.  Microsoft should stop allowing this to happen.  I have also lost codec availability to old AVI files, and Microsoft invented the AVI format!  I am very disappointed with the way that Windows

    There is one piece of software available that handles just about every video format on the planet:  YouTube.  Google is now doing what Microsoft used to do.  Hey, Microsoft, wake up, before you finish feeding your lunch to your competition.

    [Complaint mode off]

    I am downloading the recommended converter software, since I don't have any choice at this point.  Thanks, all, for pointing me to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-04T04:10:40+00:00

    Thanks John, but Format Factory does not work well...

    =================================

    Depends on the format of the video...it works better

    for some than for others.

    Another converter that I find to be useful is:

    Freemake Free Video Converter

    (FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System

    Restore point before installing software or updates)

    Freemake Free Video Converter (freeware)

    http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

    (Windows XP / Vista / 7)

    (***Carefully read *all* the install screens...there

    may be some items you want to uncheck***)

    Freemake also has an option to burn Video DVDs....

    and several editing options:

    Freemake Free Video Converter - How To Burn DVD Video

    http://www.freemake.com/how_to/how_to_burn_dvd_video

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-03T23:31:39+00:00

    Thanks John, but Format Factory does not work well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments