Windows 7: Preparing your desktop....C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

Anonymous
2009-11-28T22:05:06+00:00

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

This problem occours after a reboot but does not happen with any rhym or rhythm (seems random). Login screen appears, im the only user, my pic and user name appear correctly, i type my password and hit enter, then it gets wierd, it says that it is preparing my desktop; But this is not the first time for logging in. then when i do log in its a new desktop everyting default plus the windows aero is shut off and replaced with the Windows classic theme. then i get the message in the taskbar..... Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator. Event viewer revals nothing related to this issue that i could find. Only 3 occourances of this so far. I am operaing Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have only seen one other mention of this elseware after a google search but was during RC version I have version 6.1.7600 build 7600 and am having this problem rumors are that it happens with Symantec Endpoint Protection installed which i do I have, Version 11.0.5002.333 which is the latest build update and was created for windows 7 compatibility. SEP Logs reveal nothing abnormal besides files that could not be scanned once but did not mention the above file location. Just wanting to see if anyone else has been having this problem.

Also I believe this to happen after a remote desktop connection either to or from the client pc then a reboot or a shut down.

Mentioned here in brief http://www.xiirus.net/articles/article-windows-7-preparing-your-desktop-woe-mbp3t.aspx

and here in vista http://www.xiirus.net/articles/article-vista-your-user-profile-was-not-loaded-correctly-cuu82.aspx < i do notice in the screenshot here that SEP is installed on that computer

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-28T13:07:16+00:00

I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but here's a situation I ran into recently that I hope gets you closer to the solution.

Brief History

While testing out a new Win 7 image build, I had to make numerous changes to default user profile and default user hive to make the necessary adjustments that should only happen once per user.  However, once I logged on, tested and made any additional adjustment(s), I couldn't just log out and back on because the profile was already created.  I would need to start from scratch.

Like we currently do in Win XP, I deleted my existing profile and left it at that.  On subsequent logons however I noticed that my changes weren't 'coming down' and adjustments I made to the profile weren't sticking.  It was at that point I realized I was logging on with a temporary profile.

SolutionIn my case I not only had to delete (or rename) my user profile, but I also had to go into the registry and remove/rename the profile SID (well I think its the SID, or user GUID of some sort) for the profile I deleted.

  • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  • Look at each SID/GUID
  • Check the ProfileImagePath to confirm you've selected the proper SID/GUID
  • Once you have the right one, delete the key or rename it (like append .BAK to the name)

Once I deleted the profile, all worked well again.

Now for you, I know that removing or renaming your profile may not be the most desirable solution, but if you try the suggestion above, or simply create a new account, it should help isolate where the problem lies.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-25T19:04:41+00:00

    I had the same thing on two out of the three computers running windows 7. the two that would have this problem ran the symantec endpoint protection. After i changed my antivirus, the Preparing the desktop problems stopped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-16T01:57:50+00:00

    Hey, I know this is old, but i had this problem and i just created another user with that account, then logged off, logged in with the new user, and then clicked switched accounts and logged back in in the old one and it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-22T12:51:27+00:00

    I realize these posts are old but if it helps someone else out

    Login Error

    C:\Windows\System32\Config\Systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable

    ALSO HAD

    Acrobat Distiller

    Error Initializing Interpreter Fatal Error

    This happened after Acrobat 9.46 update, but evidently can happen on any bootup

    Login as different user, machine boots fine

    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

    Look for a profile ending in.bak

    Find the other one with the exact name and delete it

    Remove the .bak from the first key

    Reboot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-03T05:56:11+00:00

    I found that waiting until disk activity had almost stopped, when the request for user password appears as Seven starts up, before typing in the password appears to eliminate the problem. I wonder if typeing in as soon the password request appears and pressing return leaves the password partially unverified due to unfinished startup processes. Windows may now be unsure of who is using the PC and effectively asks for a log out and log in to verify.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments