Installing Age of Empires III on a Vista based Computer

Anonymous
2009-06-29T14:05:05+00:00

I am having trouble installing this game (AOE III) on my computer which is a Windows Vista 64-bit based computer.

I have previously used it with Windows XP. I dont know what version it is and if that would make a difference. I brought the game a few months after it initially came out.

When I inserted the cd into the drive, a window pops up indicated that there is a compatibility issue.  I tried using the compatibility wizard but it doesnt work. Please, Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.

Windows for home | Other | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-23T01:04:10+00:00

Hi Mohan:

I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine.   Thank you and appreciate the help.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-07-08T19:20:52+00:00

    Hi Summerbreeze,

    The error "This update doesn’t apply to your system." means that you might have an updated version of compatibility package already installed on the computer.

    Have you installed all the updates on your computer?

    Which is the service pack that is currently running on your computer?

    Try the article KB953960 to install the latest Application compatibility package.

    We can also try to install the game in compatibility mode. The steps for the same are mentioned in the article KB927386.

    Let us know if it was helpful.

    Mohan

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-07-08T16:49:30+00:00

    Thank you Mohan for your response.

    I checked the two updates metioned are not installed. I attempted to install both updates KB935280 for x64 and x86, but they did not install. I get a message saying that "This update dont apply to your system." What exactly does that mean? I would think that a Windows Vista update of any kind could be installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-07-07T22:11:14+00:00

    Hi Summerbreeze,


    Check if the Application Compatibility Update KB935280 is installed on your computer:

    1. Click<br>Start , type<br>Control Panel in the Start Search box, and then click<br>Control Panel in the Programs list. <br><br> <br><br>If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click<br>Continue .
    2. Click<br>Programs .
    3. Click<br>Programs and Features .
    4. Click<br>View installed updates .
    5. Check if<br>update KB948465 is present in the list or not.

    If the update is not installed, click here to download the 64-bit package for your computer and install it.

    Once you have the application compatibility update installed, restart the computer and try installing AOE III.


    Let us know if this helped.


    Mohan

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-07-06T14:10:22+00:00

    Hi jlluitj:

    Same error as stated before:

    C:\windows\system32\setup.exe                                                                   

    Windows cannot find 'C:\windows\system32\setup.exe.'

    make sure you typoed the name correctly and try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments