How can i stretch my background over 2 monitors?

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:14:34+00:00

I'm running 2 monitors (extended mode) and when i change my background it gets doubled. I was using win xp pro before and my background was extended on the other monitor but windows wont let me?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-27T00:27:19+00:00

Hi lightningwolf71,

 I was going through some online resources and came across one workaround regarding this issue, hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Follow these steps to display a large image across multiple monitors:

  1. Right click on the Desktop background and select Personalize.
  2. Click on Desktop Background
  3. Select a background image that is at least as wide as the combined resolution of both of your monitors. For Example, I have two 19" monitors that have a resolution of 1280×1024. I need an image of 2560×1024 or greater so that it can be displayed across both monitors.
  4. Select Tile for picture positioning option. This is the only option that will display your background image across multiple monitors.
  5. Select Save Changes.

Your background image now should be displayed across both monitors instead of having the same image displayed on both monitors.

Hope this information was useful.


Naveen

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-28T20:35:04+00:00

    This is an old thread but I haven't found any others with useful information. This fix simply doesn't work. When I select tile, the pictures stack on top of each other or fill one monitor and part of the second. If I can use a picture that doesn't fit the resolution on a single monitor by centering and adding background color to the rest of the screen then I should be able to take any picture, regardless of size, and make it span both monitors.

    I appreciate the time taken to help with this issue.

    On Win 7, the spanning feature is no longer allowed like it was previously in other flavors. Which is why in order to get the tiled to display properly, you must have a picture that meets the appropriate resolution. If not, you'll be stuck with your many tiled photos. However, if you want to have your single monitor image display on your multiples, I suggest that you install the displayfusion. I just tested it out on a sample image, and it stretches the single monitor image across my three monitors. I personally don't desire to use a single image because it diminishes the quality, but to each his own.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-25T16:51:21+00:00

    Werezwolf,

    PERFECT SOLUTION!

    Problem was in Windows Photo Viewer.  Followed your steps and BAM!!!! Wallpaper across two screens.

    Thank you for posting your response.

    MJC

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-22T10:10:00+00:00

    Hi,

    I'm having the same issue with stretching an image accross two screens in Windows 7 - and the tile setting doesn't help, it now displays the image twice on both screens.

    The image is 2560 x 1024 in size so should be the right size, and it worked on my XP machine.

    Any ideas of how to make it strech?

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-11T05:02:50+00:00

    Works great, thanks!!  I was having trouble getting a single image across both monitors... changing the display setting to "tile" and finding an appropriate image worked great. thanks

    Win-7  64bit

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments