"Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up

Anonymous
2010-02-15T23:36:31+00:00

I am receiving the message "Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up  " when back up operation is run. I changed some back up folders and deleted some files on back up drive and think this is related to problem.  I need to know how to recreate the "shadow copy".

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-30T19:02:19+00:00

This is the very first time I am posting, but I found a pattern.

After researching this for days. I found that everyone who is experiencing this error code 0x8100037 is a W7 user AND has Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Simply disabling Microsoft Security Essentials makes the back up go through with no issue.

What I also noticed is that every time I got this error code during the back up process, at the same time in the history tab of the Security Essentials I see the same action being taken, where its removing a Severe virus (at least it thinks its a virus)


Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items: 

file:\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy50\Users\RB\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\0\4d43e080-1782a588->vmain.class


According to Microsoft, this is a virus http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ&threatid=2147639445

Now, even though Essentials says it removed it, I still see this file in the directory, so I manually deleted it. I havent tried to rerun the backup with Essentials on, but can pretty much guess it will work. If not, at least this should point folks in the right direction on how to permanently rectify this issue. 

RB

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-16T19:07:43+00:00

Hi,

What backup utility are you using?

This could be Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services are not started.

To restart the Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.    Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.    Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.    If the SPP service is disabled, double-click it to open the service properties.

4.    If Volume Shadow Copy service is double-click it to open the service properties

5.    Click the Startup type list, click Automatic (Delayed Start), and then click Apply.

6.    Under Service status, click Start.

Event logs are special files that record significant events on your computer, such as when a user logs on to the computer or when a program encounters an error. Whenever these types of events occur, Windows records the event in an event log that you can read by using Event Viewer

To view the Event :

Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

1.    Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    Click an event log in the left pane.

3.    Double-click an event to view the details of the event and check for

the errors pertaining to Backups/VSS/SPP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

For more information on Backup follow the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-files

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/8be1ce21-a23d-4d2b-8563-5882dc73a383 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-01T22:17:16+00:00

Now, even though Essentials says it removed it, I still see this file in the directory, so I manually deleted it. I havent tried to rerun the backup with Essentials on, but can pretty much guess it will work. If not, at least this should point folks in the right direction on how to permanently rectify this issue. 

RB

I found that ...\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0... folder persisted with content even after using the "Java 7 Update 1 (build 1.7.0_01-b08)" Control Panel -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings ... -> Delete Files ... button with all options checked. Therefore, for users who have updated to Java 7 it may be necessary to maually remove the Java 6 cache folder.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-13T05:50:31+00:00

    I have found sort of solution to the problem.  This is not a fix, but more of a workaround.

    The article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455/en-us says that the error code may be related to a "reparse point" being added to a library.  I really have no idea what a reparse point is or why there would be one in one of my libraries.

    I was able to add individual libraries to the backup one at a time, backing up after each added library until I got the error.  Turns out that my music library is causing the problem.  Unfortunately, because the error message doesn't tell me WHERE the reparse point is that is causing the problem, I have no idea what to remove from my music library to fix this.  So for now, my music library is not being backed up.  This seems like very sloppy programming from Microsoft.  I'm not using any network storage or anything fancy in my music library either.

    The solution proposed above is entirely inadequate in this case, as the backup worked without any modification of the services mentioned above once my music library was removed.  Seems like Microsoft is unable to decrypt the meaning of their own error messages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-12T22:28:41+00:00

    I am having the same problem described above.

    I get the same error message, followed by the error code 0x81000037.  The dialogue says to check the event log for more information, but the only information in the event log is the error code 0x8100037.  This does not provide any helpful information. 

    I have read several threads on this topic and have not yet found a working solution.  I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, though I have tried backing up with it disabled.  I have also tried the steps above to start the SPP and Volume Shadow Copy service.

    Can Microsoft provide a real working solution to this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments