"Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up

Anonymous
2010-02-15T23:36:31+00:00

I am receiving the message "Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up  " when back up operation is run. I changed some back up folders and deleted some files on back up drive and think this is related to problem.  I need to know how to recreate the "shadow copy".

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-30T19:02:19+00:00

This is the very first time I am posting, but I found a pattern.

After researching this for days. I found that everyone who is experiencing this error code 0x8100037 is a W7 user AND has Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Simply disabling Microsoft Security Essentials makes the back up go through with no issue.

What I also noticed is that every time I got this error code during the back up process, at the same time in the history tab of the Security Essentials I see the same action being taken, where its removing a Severe virus (at least it thinks its a virus)


Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items: 

file:\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy50\Users\RB\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\0\4d43e080-1782a588->vmain.class


According to Microsoft, this is a virus http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ&threatid=2147639445

Now, even though Essentials says it removed it, I still see this file in the directory, so I manually deleted it. I havent tried to rerun the backup with Essentials on, but can pretty much guess it will work. If not, at least this should point folks in the right direction on how to permanently rectify this issue. 

RB

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-16T19:07:43+00:00

Hi,

What backup utility are you using?

This could be Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services are not started.

To restart the Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.    Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.    Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.    If the SPP service is disabled, double-click it to open the service properties.

4.    If Volume Shadow Copy service is double-click it to open the service properties

5.    Click the Startup type list, click Automatic (Delayed Start), and then click Apply.

6.    Under Service status, click Start.

Event logs are special files that record significant events on your computer, such as when a user logs on to the computer or when a program encounters an error. Whenever these types of events occur, Windows records the event in an event log that you can read by using Event Viewer

To view the Event :

Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

1.    Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    Click an event log in the left pane.

3.    Double-click an event to view the details of the event and check for

the errors pertaining to Backups/VSS/SPP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

For more information on Backup follow the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-files

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/8be1ce21-a23d-4d2b-8563-5882dc73a383 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-01T22:17:16+00:00

Now, even though Essentials says it removed it, I still see this file in the directory, so I manually deleted it. I havent tried to rerun the backup with Essentials on, but can pretty much guess it will work. If not, at least this should point folks in the right direction on how to permanently rectify this issue. 

RB

I found that ...\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0... folder persisted with content even after using the "Java 7 Update 1 (build 1.7.0_01-b08)" Control Panel -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings ... -> Delete Files ... button with all options checked. Therefore, for users who have updated to Java 7 it may be necessary to maually remove the Java 6 cache folder.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-04T14:15:56+00:00

    Yep, this fixed my issue (same one, wait hours for backup to get right to the end then it fails with the world's least helpful error message 0x8100037 - look that up in Microsoft support and then find a nice comfy brick wall to bang your head against).

    After starting as usual my weekly backup on Fri, I eventually got a success on the Sunday on the 4th time. While watching the thing like a hawk on the 2nd fail (after the 1st fail, I tried to follow the wibble unhelpfulness on the MS page for 0x8100037 but that is about as much use as a one-legged man at a posterior-kicking contest), I noticed that at the beginning of the creating system image process (or somewhere around there), the MSE window popped up with it's helpful "spotted a threat and cleaned it" message. Hmmm.

    Then it failed and then I googled some more to find this thread. Did a full scan with MSE and deleted the java files it mistakenly fingers as a threat and then Windows Backup completed successfully. Or rather, I should say, failed yet again but with a different error. Couldn't see the destination drive. The one it was connected to and had saved all the other files to over hours and which I could use Explorer tonavigate to. Sheesh. Reboot reconnect and do it allover and it worked properly at last.

    It's irritating because this is an issue which is caused by the interaction of 2 MS products (Backup and MSE); because it's been known about for over a year and nothing is done; it fails in a most unhelpful way (by MSA claiming success which kills Backup); and nothing is posted on the page "explaining" 0x8100037.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-25T12:29:50+00:00

    I like everyone else looking for a solution to this problem of Windows Backup posting Transient Errors, VSS and Shadow Copy errors and fails.

    After trying all of the researched answers and workarounds, nothing worked for me. Trusting in Microsoft license Activations and that the activation Servers would see this as the SAME machine and Hardware build, I decidied to carry out a Windows 7 Pro 64bit upgrade from the Windows Desktop.

    All executed as expected and went through the normal process of re-installing Windows files and finalising the Windows installation. Then I re-activiated withoput any problems over the net. So it would appear that the Activation process with activate multiple times as long as the Same Key is used and the Hardware has not changed.

    This left me now with some 95-100 updates to apply to the Windows 7 system, but before I did this I checked to see if Windows Backup worked as it did before, and Yes it all worked normally, and the Upgrade process rectified the Backup issue.

    So suspecting one of the MS updates was the caue of my previous problems I installed all of the Updates and then re-booted and tested the Windows backup again. To my supprise it all worked normally, no errors posted and numerous System images taken and verified O.K.

    So this now leads me to believe it is caused by one of two things, a Third party software install or a Registry cleaner that removes some entries in the Registry. I have longs since suspected that the caue of my problems was EaseUS ToDo backup installations, as it was after this software installation on numerous machines Windows 7 Pro, Windows Server 2008 that this problem with Microsoft Backups appeared.

    now I am going to test this Windows backup over the comming days to ensure it does not fail on me as it did before. I also need to say that all of the previous software that was installed is still installed, it is only running the upgrade that has put something back in place and rectified the Backup issue.

    After a few days of testing I will re-run the EaseUS ToDo backup software and see if my suspicions were correct and its re-installation alters the configs enough to cause the Backups to fail again.

    After months of playing around, researching FixIt files and doing registry hacks this is the simplest and easiest way to over come this problem and get back to normal operation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments