Windows 7 MIDI output device selection

Anonymous
2009-11-19T06:27:30+00:00

I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-10T17:51:15+00:00

Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-04T15:43:26+00:00

Mike,

Its actually all to do with the drivers, not the OS.

I have an Edirol PCM30 keyboard and a Edirol SD20, bioth of which work perfectly under W7 Pro as Edirol has written W7 specific drivers for these products. I can also use the keyboard through a Presonus FS26x26 as it also has W7 specific drivers.

If your midi devicde manufacturer has not written W7 specific drivers then you'll have to try using Vista drivers (install in compatibility mode), but there are no guarantee they work.

UM1 drivers are here :

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=498#

Emu beta drivers are available here (scroll down) :

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Cheers,

jerry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T22:43:21+00:00

    OK Guys after downloading a load of junk promising to address this problem here is a get round that allowed me to access my USB midi card. Firstly make sure your USB midi is installed OK and the drivers are up to date. Put simply you just need to tell windows that instead of using the internal sound card for midi (which is windows default) you want to use the external midi usb. Go to start and where it says search programs and files type regedit   Windows  will ask you if you want to edit this and you answer yes. follow this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   This is the part of the registry that tells windows which midi device it should use as default. Now click on the default midi folder and the last entry will be: midioutId click on this (this is the part that tells win 7 that your default card is internal I.E. zero 0  Change the hexdecimal to 1 this is your external USB midi card.  Close down the regedit and try your USB midicard it will be working now.  You don't need to reboot or anything just close regedit and try your card. To change back simply regedit back and change back to zero. It took me a week of misery to find this out but for me it now works 100%.  I haven't been coned into downloading  more viruses etc which all of the so called utilities on google have turned out to be. Try this at your own risk but there is nothing it for me only to help ease the problem.  MICROSOFT YOUR NAFF.  YOU COULD WRITE A UTILITY IN TWO MINUTE TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. I just don't have knowledge or I'd do it myself.  Perhaps someone else can let me know. Good luck everyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T22:49:22+00:00

    As  a foot note I must say if you are running 64 bit this must be done in the 32bit part of regedit I.E. path devenum     NOT devenum - 64 bit  That's where I was initially going wrong. So do the 32 bit path.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-11T04:43:07+00:00

    OMG You are an angel!!  Thank you.  This works like a charm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments