Add my voice to the list.
My nice new Win 7 notebook would be great but it doesn't work with my Ketron SD4 HW synth via USB. Ketron never had any special drivers, they simply relied on the Microsoft stock drivers. Those drivers worked just fine in WinXP Pro. For Windows techs to
say that this is a 3rd party driver issue is uninformed at best.
Microsoft severely broke MIDI USB support in their Win7 drivers, don't know about Vista but I expect the same.
Microsoft; you borked your stock USB MIDI driver(s). This is NOT an issue for the HW manufacture it is purely on M$oft's back porch. Probably because providing valid support for MIDI doesn't put any money in M$oft's pocket :) Remember that 3rd parties generally
have to pay a hefty fee to have their drivers "certified" by M$oft and anyone that doesn't jump though that hoop is likely to not get much in the way of support ;0
I working on putting WinXP Pro in a VM on the notebook right now, while waiting for a new USB to MIDI adapter to arrive to test with. Those two approaches may be a solution for some of you even if it is a pain in the butt.
Another possibility is to shrink the partition and install WinXP so it never sits on top of Win7 even via a VM. Of course that is harder these days since there may not be WinXP driver support for some of the newer hardware.
If this fails then I'll shrink the Win7 partition and install Linux on this notebook. And install WinXP in a VM under Linux so I'm not sitting on top of Windoze 7. I rarely run Windoze these days because of these kinds of problems. If the one program that
I need to run on Windoze could access USB via Wine under Linux I'd be doing that since the application runs just fine, but Wine of course doesn't handle driver level Windoze support.
Very disappointed with Win7 since that was the only reason I purchased this notebook. Had I known that Win7 was severely broken as far as the native USB MIDI drivers I would have switched to a MacBook since there is a Mac version of the sequencing software
I use available and that "just works" on the Mac :)
BTW my wife's new Win7 machine drives her crazy as well. She's not very technically oriented so Linux wasn't an immediate option for her, but she has noted that things that used to take her one or two steps with WinXp now take her much longer to do with Win7.
Can't wait to see how much longer Win8 might take :)
Just my $.02