Windows 7 MIDI output device selection

Anonymous
2009-11-19T06:27:30+00:00

I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-10T17:51:15+00:00

Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-04T15:43:26+00:00

Mike,

Its actually all to do with the drivers, not the OS.

I have an Edirol PCM30 keyboard and a Edirol SD20, bioth of which work perfectly under W7 Pro as Edirol has written W7 specific drivers for these products. I can also use the keyboard through a Presonus FS26x26 as it also has W7 specific drivers.

If your midi devicde manufacturer has not written W7 specific drivers then you'll have to try using Vista drivers (install in compatibility mode), but there are no guarantee they work.

UM1 drivers are here :

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=498#

Emu beta drivers are available here (scroll down) :

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Cheers,

jerry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-10T05:54:47+00:00

    Terry thanks alot. I did as you said about 15 times. In regedit two device show up, my Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth. The wave table synth is set to "0", the tascam is set to "1". I reversed them, I have left them both the same. And even moved the numbers up to 10 and 11 with no success. No matter what I do the on board sound card  plays even when the numbers are up to 10 and 11.  I guess I'm just dunce.

    I also went into 32 bit mode of the register start  + Run + type   { %systemroot%\syswow64\regedit -m } to get to 32 bit mode and then change the number  and still no results. I'm about to pull what little hair I have left out.  Is it possible that everything I stated above is wrong? The only way my tascam usb works is in Cakewalk Music Creator 6. It lets me choose wave table or tascam.

    Again Thanks.

    don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-10T12:06:39+00:00

    Hi Don well you are confusing me now! Where you edit the registry there should be no devices showing up. There is only one number and that should be zero. This needs to be changed to 1. i think what's happening is A your might be editing the wrong string. this would explain the devices showing although I have never seen any devices showing on any of my 3 systems. B if there is more than one device windows 7 will get confused and not know where to send the MIDI info. Please bare in mind also this is only my solution. I'm not a programmer just a musician who has found a way round Microsofts incompetence!!! Please keep me posted. Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-10T21:02:11+00:00

    ;-) DONE! I felt like I was missing the mark. It works Great.

    Please except my total and complete thanks. And thanks to the other volunteers who have put up with my rantings. I to have been in midi since its inception. Before General Midi was made a standard.  My first computer in midi was a Commador 64 and then and Ibm 6 megehert IBM. I still have the Doctor T Software (DOS) that ran on it. 51/4 floopies.

    I was one of the first with cakewalk (DOS) long before win3.1. Infact I still have a satalite lap top 16 megehert dos OS with Cakewalk 5 (DOS) on it for special ocassions. DOS was a rock. It never faltered. Then I begain to sell cakewalk for years after using it.. So when I say love midi for a million different reasons. I like to get it right in midi and then convert to audio. A much better way to record.

    By the way I hope you know you made this 60 year old musician a much happer man.

    Thank You  More Than You Will Ever Know!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments