Windows 7 MIDI output device selection

Anonymous
2009-11-19T06:27:30+00:00

I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-10T17:51:15+00:00

Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-04T15:43:26+00:00

Mike,

Its actually all to do with the drivers, not the OS.

I have an Edirol PCM30 keyboard and a Edirol SD20, bioth of which work perfectly under W7 Pro as Edirol has written W7 specific drivers for these products. I can also use the keyboard through a Presonus FS26x26 as it also has W7 specific drivers.

If your midi devicde manufacturer has not written W7 specific drivers then you'll have to try using Vista drivers (install in compatibility mode), but there are no guarantee they work.

UM1 drivers are here :

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=498#

Emu beta drivers are available here (scroll down) :

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Cheers,

jerry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-10T05:54:47+00:00

    Terry thanks alot. I did as you said about 15 times. In regedit two device show up, my Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth. The wave table synth is set to "0", the tascam is set to "1". I reversed them, I have left them both the same. And even moved the numbers up to 10 and 11 with no success. No matter what I do the on board sound card  plays even when the numbers are up to 10 and 11.  I guess I'm just dunce.

    I also went into 32 bit mode of the register start  + Run + type   { %systemroot%\syswow64\regedit -m } to get to 32 bit mode and then change the number  and still no results. I'm about to pull what little hair I have left out.  Is it possible that everything I stated above is wrong? The only way my tascam usb works is in Cakewalk Music Creator 6. It lets me choose wave table or tascam.

    Again Thanks.

    don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-09T23:00:26+00:00

    No need to apologies and I didn't take offence at anything you had written. However if you use my method to tell windows 7 to use your usb midi device it will for sure ONLY play the midi you are sending to that device and completely ignore the on board sound card. I know because that's how I use it. Having to use regedit is a pain but if you follow the simple instructions your imbedded midi file will play to your usb midi device as long as it's intalled correctly. The USB midi device I bought off ebay has automatic installation of the driver. If I then use a program like Cakewalk sonar the USB midi device is selectable from the program so that's proof that it works and drivers are installed. Your stumbling block and most others is that Windows 7 only plays in media player in sound cards midi sounds. To access the USB you MUST go to regedit as described and select device 1 not zero. Please get back to me if you can't get this to work. Go to my post earlier June 2011 and follow the instructions don't forget the post note Jan 23rd 2012. regards Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-09T18:31:41+00:00

    My apologies, I did not know this wasn't Microsoft. I do understand volunteer workers.

    Again please except my apologies. It is Microsoft I want to yell at. I thought this was it.

    Keep up the diligent work. At least someone (YOU) are trying to communicate.

    Thank you!

    I also could open a small store of used midi equipment and tons of software because of progress. I'm not sure you have caught what I'm trying to do. YES as long as I run a window 7 compatible program (MIDI) It works fine. NOW my problem is with Windows Midi Player and the fact you can't assign a midi USB port in control panel (sound). This means if I use any Microsoft product and embed a midi file in it, window media player will only play the midi file on board thru its on speaker.( NO USB OUT to pro audio) This is a real problem. Even a compatible midi program doesn't show up in the embed object link folder. So you can't even link the document to a compatible midi program. I hope this clear. I sometime tend to rattle.

    Again please except my apologies.

    don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments