Windows 7 MIDI output device selection

Anonymous
2009-11-19T06:27:30+00:00

I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-10T17:51:15+00:00

Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-04T15:43:26+00:00

Mike,

Its actually all to do with the drivers, not the OS.

I have an Edirol PCM30 keyboard and a Edirol SD20, bioth of which work perfectly under W7 Pro as Edirol has written W7 specific drivers for these products. I can also use the keyboard through a Presonus FS26x26 as it also has W7 specific drivers.

If your midi devicde manufacturer has not written W7 specific drivers then you'll have to try using Vista drivers (install in compatibility mode), but there are no guarantee they work.

UM1 drivers are here :

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=498#

Emu beta drivers are available here (scroll down) :

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Cheers,

jerry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-13T18:18:43+00:00

    Hi Jerry,

    I'm using the latest Windows 7 64-bit drivers for my MIDI interface and it doesn't show up as an option for Windows Media Player.  So my question is are you using your MIDI device with WMP or only your DAW software?  The keyboard works fine with Cakewalk Sonar.  But I have to hack the registry for WMP to play MIDI through my keyboard.

    My MIDI interface does have an icon in the control panel.  When opening the Sound controls there is no way to switch between MIDI devices, such as between the built in Windows soft synth and my keyboard.  Only settings for wav and MP3 style audio.  That's what Wilderness is complaining about

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-04T11:29:10+00:00

    Microsoft

    This is not an answer.

    Where is the Midi setup hiden in Windows 7. It used to be in the Audio setup in XP

    Can you please just tell us where you have moved it to. When you run Windows Media Player it must pick the output MIDI device from somewhere...just tell us where it is and how we can change it and we will all be happy.

    Nothing to do with hardware or software and everything to do with the change in the operating system.

    Thx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-15T06:55:02+00:00

    Hi. I have been trying to sort out a similar problem with my USB-Midi adapter for Windows 7 Pro N 64 Bit. I found and the answer on this page:

    http://www.blindskunk.com/windows7_viewcon_usb_midi_drivers.html

    The device I had was showing up a VIEWCON.. with a code 10.

    I followed the instructions on the above website and it works fine now.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments