Windows 7 MIDI output device selection

Anonymous
2009-11-19T06:27:30+00:00

I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-10T17:51:15+00:00

Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-04T15:43:26+00:00

Mike,

Its actually all to do with the drivers, not the OS.

I have an Edirol PCM30 keyboard and a Edirol SD20, bioth of which work perfectly under W7 Pro as Edirol has written W7 specific drivers for these products. I can also use the keyboard through a Presonus FS26x26 as it also has W7 specific drivers.

If your midi devicde manufacturer has not written W7 specific drivers then you'll have to try using Vista drivers (install in compatibility mode), but there are no guarantee they work.

UM1 drivers are here :

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=498#

Emu beta drivers are available here (scroll down) :

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Cheers,

jerry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-28T12:41:07+00:00

    I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

    There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

    My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

    Ahoy!

    I've struggled with this for about 2 weeks now, and being a "computer guy" I did not stop until I found an answer.

    My resulting process is below, and it works great (for me anyway).

    TITLE: HOWTO - Enable USB to MIDI-IN/OUT in Windows 7 x86_64

    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

    CONTROLLER:

    KORG MicroKORG (http://korg.com/microKORG)

    INTERFACE: EMU Xmidi 1x1 Tab (http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?category=610&pid=19089)

    UTILITY: MidiPortConfig (http://www.sdim.gr/mpc/)

    DAW: FL-Studio 10.x (http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html)

    00.) Obtain your software

    NOTE: Get the *latest* drivers for your INTERFACE device!

    EMU Xmidi 1x1 Tab (and similar devices):

    http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=237&CatName=E-MU+%2f+Creative+Professional&subCatID=231&subCatName=MIDI+Keyboards&prodID=19089&prodName=Xmidi+1x1+Tab&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ\_19089,VARSET=CategoryID:237

    Roland UM-1G based devices:

    http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=UM-1G&id=16224977

    01.) Install your software

    -Install your INTERFACE driver

    -Run the MIDI configuration UTILITY

    -This automates some registry changes (as M$ has saw fit to remove the MIDI control panel from W7).

    -Select your device from the drop-down

    -Click "Set as default"

    -Install your DAW

    -I use "FL Studio 10.x", you can use what suits your taste.

    02.) Wiring it together

    -Plugin the USB part of the MIDI cable to the *BACK* USB port on your computer

    -This is to power it as well as interface correctly

    -Front USB ports & "unpowered hubs" are known to have issues due to this

    -Validate Windows reconized and configured the device correctly

    -Start > Control Panel

    -Change "View by:" to be "Small icons"

    -Control Panel > Device Manager

    -Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" branch of the tree

    -Look for your USB to MIDI device

    -Double click on it when found, and check under "Device status" (hopefully will say "working properly")

    -Click on the "Driver" tab and validate version and date values align with what you installed earlier

    -Connect the INTERFACE to the CONTROLLER MIDI IN/OUT ports

    -INTERFACE MIDI-IN connects to CONTROLLER MIDI-OUT

    -INTERFACE MIDI-OUT connects to CONTROLLER MIDI-IN

    -this sounds simple, but its very important

    03.) Configuration

    -Start your DAW

    -Configure the DAW per its documentation for external MIDI controllers

    -Example for FL Studio 10.x (based on my personal working config)

    -Options > MIDI settings

    -OUTPUT

    -E-MU XMidi 1X1 Tab, MIDI hardware port, Sync, 1

    -Selected "Send master sync"

    -Port number: 1

    -Synchronization type: MIDI clock

    -INPUT

    -E-MU XMidi 1X1 Tab, (generic controller), Active

    -Select "Enable"

    -Controller type: (generic controller)

    -Start your CONTROLLER

    -Configure the CONTROLLER for MIDI mode

    -Example for KORG MicroKORG

    -Turn "EDIT SELECT 2" knob to "MIDI"

    -Turn "1/CUTOFF" knob until LED value matches the "Port number" you configured in the DAW (above)

    -Turn "2/RESONANCE" knob until LED reads "on"

    -Turn "2/RESONANCE" knob until LED reads "off"

    04.) Testing

    -Select a channel device

    -Play some keys on your CONTROLLER and observe the DAW

    -If all is well, you will recieve some visual response to your CONTROLLER input, as well as some audio output

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-17T18:59:42+00:00

    WOW, thanks guys!

    I have been asked this question many times, and have not been able to solve it.

    I love that our community has this kind of knowledge and involvement.

    Great job Terry and Don!

    Happy computing

    Eddie b

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-11T09:08:53+00:00

    Hi Don that's great. Although I had faith in what I was telling you I find there is sometimes a chance it won't work on some systems. Never found one yet but I'm sure it will happen. I'm exactly the same age as you and have been a musician 42 years. Love midi and wouldn't be able to run my show without it. Good luck and keep rockin!  Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments