Windows 7 is Blurry/Fuzzy for me...

Anonymous
2009-06-07T06:53:22+00:00

I love it, dont get me wrong but ahhh i wanna continue to use it...but it all just seems fuzzy and i've tried everything from Changing the DPI, to resolutions to clear type text, to screen refresh rates, nothing...just nothing makes it seem crisp like it was when i was using vista. i have a 17 inch screen. LCD flat panel. on vista i use to use 1024x768 but its way to blurry and large on windows 7. Im using a Radeon hd 4350...so i thought maybe its the driver. Updated it. still nothing. Blurry and fuzzy. It can be tough on the eyes so im just about ready to go back to vista. If anyone can help, that would be great. Windows 7 is great and i really want to continue to use it. Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-08T07:11:15+00:00

Hi Jakndax,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Vista Community site. The issue you posted is related to a post installation issue and would be better suited in the Windows 7 Technet community. Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the support you request.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro?ITPID=sprblog


Thanks for using the Answers Forum. Please let us know how this works out.

Joseph

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-07T09:04:42+00:00

Hi Jakndax,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Vista Community site. The issue you posted is related to a post installation issue and would be better suited in the Windows 7 Technet community. Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the support you request.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro?ITPID=sprblog

You can try updating your video card driver by visiting the manufacturers website and downloading it from there rather than using the Update Driver function in the Device Manger, as that will only update to a driver from Microsoft.

Also, most LCD monitors have a native resolution that if set to a different resolution will make the view distorted and blurry like your describing. I suspect that it's 1024x768 for the 17" monitor, as it worked in Vista that way and works in Windows 7 that way.


Chris

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T07:14:07+00:00

    I had a blurry font problem with Win7 32 bit + ATI Rodeon HD5450 configuration when using HDMI. I uninstalled CATALYST CC and installed the latest version (7/26/2010) from AMD website. This solved the problem. Before this recent CATALYST CC update I tried everything without luck. It seems that this recent driver update may solve many problems listed here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-28T10:28:28+00:00

    re: finchy1978's comment: 

    <blockquote><p style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; color:black; font-size:8pt"> . . . . The fix for me was simple.  I unplugged the VGA cable and then opened the nvidia Control panel (this only displayed the laptop display as expected) and then plugged the cable back in. </span></p></blockquote>

    I can offer this observation in support of a tip something like finchy1978's possibly helping in some scenarios:

    My PC's (Vista laptop & Win7 desktop via shared KVM to the shared monitor) sometimes boot up thinking I have a mere "analog" display rather than being able to recognize the specific model name of the monitor, as shown in the nVidia control panel.  I've found that once the display is awake I can pull the power plug on my KVM for a second and upon reconnecting it the PC's automatically see the monitor's model correctly.  (Unlike your case, though, I don't need the nVidia control panel to be opened when I power-cycle the KVM.)  Unplugging/replugging in the VGA cable might have a similar effect; I wonder if power-cycling the monitor using its sleep/power button after Windows has started might do the equivalent, too.

    Sometimes doing power-cycling my KVM at the Windows log on screen (where I pick a user / enter password) avoids Windows starting up with a wrong default generic "analog monitor" resolution that scrambles my desktop icons, so I usually power-cycle the KVM whenever I turn on my PC.  (My KVM seems to need to be restarted after my Dell monitor wakes up, and the monitor wakes up as soon as either PC is powered up.)  When I get around to it, I'll eventually experiment with automating this task by using a power-saving powerstrip I have that will keep power off for the KVM until the monitor wakes up first (as detected by drawing more power than in standby mode); that might work if Windows doesn't need to be up & running first, too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-28T09:41:07+00:00

    FWIW, switching to a DVI interface instead of VGA isn't really a cure, but a "workaround" that dodges the problem by using a digital interface (DVI) to avoid using the analog interface (VGA).  For people with video cards and monitors with a digital port (DVI or HDMI) & willing to upgrade their cables and KVM's (if used, as in my case), it makes sense that it might successfully dodge the problem. 

    In my case the real fix was to just manually set up a custom resolution (at 60Hz rather than the 59Hz it kept switching to), and then a month or two later Windows Update offered me an updated nVidia 9800GT driver for Win 7 that also seemed to fix the problem without needing to use any custom configuration.  Since the problem I suffered only existed at 59Hz and digital interfaces don't use that parameter, it's logical one might avoid seeing the problem I saw (though not really cure it) by not using the analog interface. 

    I would've preferred to go digital, but the laptop connected to the monitor via my KVM only has VGA output and can't be changed. (Besides, good DVI KVM's are more expensive, and HDMI KVM's and cables are a lot more expensive).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments