"The requested operation requires elevation"

Anonymous
2009-11-05T03:00:27+00:00

Before installing Win 7 I saved a bunch of files and folders to an external hard drive. Tonight when I tried to look at some text files I had created in Open Office I got the error message that "the requested operation requires elevation". If I right-click and go to "Properties" under the "Security" tab and "Group or user name" there is a red question mark followed by a long row of numbers. (A reference to my XP existence? The other names in that box reference my current system.) There are options to change permissions under "Edit" and "Advanced". I don't care about those files but I didn't want to change any settings that could negatively affect the "parent" files or program.                                                                                                                                                              (When I created this title I got links to the Vista forums but the questions did not cover my problem.)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-05T03:34:52+00:00

The long row of numbers that you see in the list of accounts on the security tab is called a SID (or Security ID).  When Windows can't recognize the security identifier associated to the file ACLs (Access Control List / Permissions) it displays the SID.  Normally Windows will be able to translate that SID in to an account name or alias, such as 'DOMAIN\Username'.

It looks like the original permissions are still associated to the files you're trying to access and they're considered foreign to the computer you're trying to access them from.  In order to open these files you will need to take ownership of them and give yourself access to read (and/or write/modify/delete).  This is where the error message comes in.  "The requested operation requires elevation" means that in order to open the file you'll need the elevated permission of a local administrator to take ownership and gain access.

You may already be logged on your system as a user that is a member of the local administrators, however Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 offer additional layers of Security to help protect your system.  This is called UAC or User Access Control.  Basically even though you're on as administrator Windows protects certain administrative functions with another security layer.  You've probably seen the screen get dimmed and a dialogue asking you if you want to Continue or Cancel a certain operation.  This is UAC asking if you're really really really sure you want to do what you're about to do and making sure you're the one trying to do it and not a rouge process or virus trying to take over.

In order to change the ownership of the files you can...

   1. go in to the properties of the folder that contains the files you need to take ownership of

   2. click on the security tab

   3. click Advanced

   4. click on the Owner tab

   5. Click Edit...

   6. Select the account name in the Change owner to list that you want to take ownership

   7. Check the box, Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

   8. Click OK

The ownership information will be updated on all of the objects in the folder including subcontainers (or the subfolders).  Depending on how many files and folders there are under your starting point this make take some time to complete.  Once it's down you will be able to modify the Security permissions as you wish for the files and folders (such as Full Control, Read Only, Read & Write, etc).

NOTE: If you're not logged on as an administrator on your system, the above steps will not work as taking over file object ownership requires administrator privledges.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-12T17:04:25+00:00

Hello SimonC17,

You can perform the operation described above on the external hard drive as a whole. This will prevent you from having to complete the same operation over and over, and also prevents any issues by missing a folder, etc.

What you’ll need to do is:

·         Click the Start Orb

·         Click Computer

·         Right click the external hard drive

·         Click Properties

·         Click the Security tab

·         From here continue from step 2 given by RobinBlackDiamond

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-10T20:17:56+00:00

     You need to navigate to the OpenOffice installation folder.  Then do the following for both scalc.exe and swriter.exe:

    1. Right-click on swriter
    2. Select "Properties"
    3. Click on "Compatibility" tab
    4. Check - "Run this Program as Administrator"
    5. Click "Apply"
    6. If you have Excel files right-click on scalc and then perform steps 2 thru 5.

    This answer worked perfect! Saved me so much time!! Thank you for the easy to follow steps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-05T20:34:34+00:00

    This is the wrong solution.  You should have launched the command prompt with elevated permission (right click and Run as Administrator) rather than disabling UAC which undermines security.

    "bdmwalter" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

    For me it ended up being a User Account Control issue. I was simply trying to flush the DNS cache in a command window and received the message. To test the fix, I simply set the UAC notifications to "Never Notify" and it took care of the issue. Hope this helps someone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-07T17:04:29+00:00

    (Edited entry. Sent response and then learned something.)

    This must be an Open Office issue. I tried those things with no positive result. I created a new document and when I clicked on it I got that message again. When I right-clicked and chose Open with... I got the same message. However, I can right-click and open it with Word. If I start Open Office and choose Open a Document it works fine. I'll have to try their site and see if this news to them. Thank you for your efforts.

    (By the way, I don't have a box for Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments