Backup keeps failing : Error 0x81000033

Anonymous
2010-02-05T02:01:36+00:00

I keep getting the error: 0x81000033 when I try do run backup.

I have tried various backup devices all with ample disc space.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-05T23:17:21+00:00

Hi,

If you have any security software installed on the computer it would take longer for the backup center to backup files. Try to disable security software and try to take a backup and verify.

If that works fine later enable the security software.

Follow the link for more information

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

You may also run disk cleanup utility and check if that helps.

Start Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-Disk-Cleanup

Also try to run a Check disk for the hard drive.

To run Check disk

1.       Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.

2.       Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

3.       Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4.       Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

For information follow the link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors 

After you perform a check disk try running the backup process and check if that helps

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-07T00:10:01+00:00

    I have found what I believe is a credible problem description and fix:

    http://www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100003301.html

    (No thanks whatsoever to Microsoft)

    I did not have to follow all this. Found the pb when I looked at the Recovery drive management info. There was a large segment of the disc immediately above the partition that was unused. When I restored that segment to the Recovery partition, everything worked fine!

    So, for me this is the correct approach, since none of the others worked at all.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-09T21:27:56+00:00

    I have found what I believe is a credible problem description and fix:

    http://www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100003301.html

    (No thanks whatsoever to Microsoft)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-29T00:07:36+00:00

    I keep getting the error: 0x81000033 when I try do run backup.

    I have tried various backup devices all with ample disc space.

    Launch cmd.exe (Run as administrator)

    once in cmd panel type below:

                     fsutil usn queryjournal F:

    then

                     fsutil usn deletejournal /D F:

    (Replace "F:" with the letter where your backup or partition drive is)

    And finally run windows backup again and it should work now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-29T00:01:12+00:00

    once cmd.exe is launched right click over it on the task bar and right click again over the first option "system symbols" and click on run as admin, use that one and close the other you opened  just typing cmd.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments