Windows 7 won't print through Photo Viewer and Picture Manager.

Anonymous
2009-10-05T00:22:03+00:00

Every time I open a picture file with Windows Photo Viewer or Office Picture Manager and attempt to print, I get 4 message boxes that read, "Your pictures can't be printed because this error occurred".

There is nothing else but an OK button - not even an error ID.

The strangest thing is I can print anything with any other program just fine. Firefox, Photoshop, all of those print without a problem. It's only Photo Viewer and Picture Manager that do this.

Printer is an Epson RX595 with 64 bit drivers.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-09T09:45:34+00:00

My Office Picture Manager calls a dialog that has a dropbox to set the printer. If you can create a document image (*.mdi) you will know it's the printer driver that has a problem. 


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-05T03:26:17+00:00

    Indeed it did.

    Photowiz.dll was the fix for non-printing with a Canon MP130, using the MS Photo Viewer application.  Now the wizard appears, and the file prints.   Thanks for sharing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-02T18:26:14+00:00

    I believe it is a problem with the "photowiz.dll" file in system32. It is version 6.x.xxxx.xxxx. I found an older version of this file, had to change the attributes and permissions of the file to allow it to be changed. I renamed it with an "dlx" extension and then copied a version 5.1 photowiz.dll to system32 and the print wizard works again! The site I got the file from is:   

    http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files\_new.php/dllfiles/P/photowiz.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

    I hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-07T19:11:46+00:00

    I too am having multiple printing problems since getting a new PC with Windows 7. Some applications print a document while others don't, so it's not the printer drivers per se. The same document (e.g. a tif file) will successfully print under some applications, but the same document and same printer will fail under other applications It seems to be a widespread problem, as I've seen multiple reports of the problem. Matt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-28T00:13:08+00:00

    I am getting this exact same error,

    In Windows 7,

    The following Programs are having this issue:

    Windows Photo Viewer

    Windows Live Photo Gallery

    Microsoft Office Picture Manager

    a brief description:

    In any of these programs, i can view the document before printing it.

    Click print button:

    Generating Preview

    [===========]

    4 windows pop-up one after the other in very rapid squence each identical:


    | Print Pictures Error                                                            |

    |                                                                                        |

    | Your pictures can't be printed because this error occured :   |

    |                                                                                        |

    |                                                                                        |


    yup that's right.. BLANK!

    I did Windows 7 Reinstall.... (upgraded as deleting the data is waaay to tedious, and nope this didn't go away)

    I did check printers, reinstalled printer drivers, tried other printers, no change.

    Some help would be extremely appreciated.

    Additional information, the Generating preview never actually gives me a preview of anything, it stays as is with the progressbar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments