There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.

Anonymous
2009-11-03T00:15:23+00:00

Different explorer.exe processes are using cpu resources at different times.  I remember reading a while back that this could be a sign of a virus, but I've done a full scan with NIS 2010 and nothing showed up.  Can anyone give me pointers where to start investigating?

I did a clean install of Windows 7 last Friday -formatted HDD and all, so there hasn't been much time for anything bad to happen!

<Original title - There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.  I've never seen this in any previous version, and it doesn't look right to me. >

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-02T01:12:12+00:00

I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-13T18:45:21+00:00

    I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

    As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

    PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

    I had to reply. Here, you have all these MS support techs saying check this, check that, reinstall your drivers... but Zardos seems to be on the mark in his answer. Thank you and I hope MS recognizes it because it sure seems like a glitch in Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-09T00:19:53+00:00

    Update: I've just used the Run command (Windows key + R)  to run explorer while Task Manager was already running. A second explorer session started. I then closed the explorer window but the new explorer process stayed running. ME DEFO THINKS this is a major bug .... PS I want my explorers to run separately but I expect them to stop running when I close the window (with the X) ... is that too much to ask ?  (so please don't suggest the registry 'hack' !)

    Note: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an AMD Phenom(tm) X4 955 CPU, Asus motherboard with 8GB of memory

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-09T00:02:53+00:00

    I had so many explorer processes in Task Manager that it took me nearly 5 minutes to 'End Process' them all. I am using DownThemAll (DTA) add-in in Firefox as well as the Firefox downloader (default) - each time I 'Open Directory' in DTA or 'Open Containing Directory' in the Download window of Firefox, a new 'explorer' process starts. Is it really a bug in the add-in or Firefox or in the Torrent clients ? OR is it just Windows 7 not closing the process when the Explorer window is closed with the X? ......          ME THINKS its's the latter - another hole opened up in Windows - 'cos these non-Microsoft programs can't all be "bugging out" in different ways !

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-05T12:47:25+00:00

    Hi Mir

    Thanks for the response but I'm certain that these are not regular instances of explorer.  I am a system admin and am familiar with all the above. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 and Diskeeper Pro 2010 running on the machine. I also have system restore disabled. I do not use IE, I use Firefox or Chrome, and I'm well capable of spotting the difference. :)  With zero applications - none, nothing - running (well obviously the bare minimum background and systray services), I have 7 instances of explorer.exe in task manager. Not iexplore, explorer. The shell.

    I would attach a screen shot but it doesn't seem to allow it here.  Simply, There are multiple instances of explorer being spawned on my system for no apparent reason. I have a second system with Win7, running the same suite of apps, and it, quite properly, has just the one shell process.

    In general there is one process using around 40-50MB of memory, and 6 using 10-15. I can kill off the 6 smaller ones with no complaint whatsoever from the OS.  They just seem to be sitting there eating memory.

    Since I upgraded to win7 64-bit to get away from Vista and its memory leaks and waste, I'm not too happy.  Can you make a more specific suggestion, or else escalate please?

    Thanks for your time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments