can I get my Microsoft Photo Editor to transfer over to Windows 7

Anonymous
2009-12-13T17:08:20+00:00

I use Micro Photo Editor to create my art and need to know if I can get it to work with Window's 7 , I have Windows XP and I know it didn't transfer to Vista which I didn't like Vista anyway

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-14T15:26:15+00:00

Hi Anishtiway,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

Unfortunately, Microsoft Photo editor cannot be transfered to windows 7. Paint is a feature in Windows 7 with which you can edit pictures. You can use Paint like a digital sketchpad to make simple pictures, creative projects, or to add text and designs to other pictures, such as those taken with your digital camera.

 Check the link "Getting started with Paint" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Getting-started-with-Paint

 "REsize a picture using paint" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T00:09:36+00:00

    I too enjoyed using Microsoft Photo Editor. I especially liked the ability to use it to resize and move a photo to anywhere on the printed page.  This is especially helpful when you are trying to save on the cost of photo paper. Photo Editor began to fail under XP and was just not available under Windows 7 until I got creative in installing it and running it.

    It would be nice if Microsoft would bring it back to run under Windows 7... but till then try the following which worked for me to get Microsoft Photo Editor to function under Windows 7.  I used my old copy of Microsoft Office 97 to make this install happen.

    1. Insert the Microsoft Office 97 CD into your Windows 7 computer.  I assume if you have the Photoed.exe file as an add on program you will need to make a few changes in this process.
    2. Run a custom install  of Office 97 and only select photo editor from the office selections
    3. I don't know if this was necessary, BUT to avoid any confusion of files with Office 2007 I elected to CHANGE THE INSTALL LOCATION  for Office 97 to MICROSOFT OFFICE97.  This will also make it easier if you need to do an UN-Install of Office 97.
    4. I did not install any of the patches for Office 97.
    5. I allowed the program to install JUST    PHOTOED.EXE
    6. There were a few additional files loaded but I assume that they are needed to make the photoed.exe function under windows....??
    7. I did NOT need to select to run as administrator or in any of the other compatibility options of Windows 7.

    The hard part was getting the program to print my finished photos.  NONE of my printers could actually print a finished picture UNTIL....

    1. I downloaded PDF Factory version PDF352std.exe from the following site:

    http://www.fineprint.com/products/download-pdfFactory.html 2. I then opened my photo in Microsoft Photo Editor 3. Then I selected PRINT and selected the PDF Printer from the PRINTER pull down window. 4. Then I manipulated it as desired changing size and position on the page using the TAB key to move from field to field 5. I finally hit return and allowed the PDF Printer to print the photo. 6. PDF Factory came up and offered to allow me to save and or print the photo. 7. I was then able to send the finished photo to one of my standard printers with no problem.

    I hope this is helpful.

    Andy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-12T00:31:11+00:00

    well that is really too bad in that case I won't be switching to Window's 7, and I don't do just simple pictures or kiddy pictures with Photo Editor, to bad I can show you a few, well http://twitdoc.com/picview?pic_nbr=37&filename=bw41.jpg&usr=Anishtiway&hits=5&qs=kah762 have a look at this one made it with Photo Editor and others and would like it to work on window's 7 but if not I am fine with my XP

    I was a long time user of Microsoft Digital Image Pro, which was dropped by Microsoft several years ago because it was being integrated into the OS with Vista.  Or at least that was the official story.

    I never went from Xp to Vista, but got a PC with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit version installed, and cannot find anything on how to edit photos, nor will my old Digital Image Pro disks install, because I get a popup telling me I must now have MSN as my ISP. When I try to get support for this issue, there is no more Digital Image Pro support, so I am referred to MSN.  But MSN can't help me, because I am not an MSN customer.  But I digress.

    What happened to all those wonderful features in Digital Image Pro that allegedly "moved" to Vista?  For instance, the ability to adjust color precisely based on a white reference target in the image (just click on the known white spot, and everything adjusts automagically).  Or manually adjust pixels dimensions.  Or shrink by a percentage, or detailed histograms, and many other features?

    As I never upgraded to Vista and learned about the alleged integration of Digital Image Pro, can someone bring me up to speed on this?

    Or are we supposed to all buy Adobe Photoshop, or perhaps switch to Apple?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-30T18:45:27+00:00

    I found MS Photoeditor to be the single most useful touchup tool for images... Instant .gif and pixel-blending were the two most useful of the main straightforward functions.  Paint just isn't the same type of program at all, nor was Photo Manager. Perhaps some enterprising soul will get funding to do with PhotoEditor what they did with Paint into Paint.net... but even Paint.net can'' so those simple, quick, straightforward tasks that the simple but brilliant PhotoEditor did.  I'm a PC and have been for 30 years .... but please, Microsoft, stop thinking for us and let us keep the things that work:  PhotoEditor never crashed, never hung, never failed me.  And maybe more people used it than you knew about _because_ there were no problems, so we never complained!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-01T02:14:33+00:00

    Thank you I knew I wasn't the only one who loves using the PhotoEditor and I don't do kiddie pictures which was one reply from some one. I do works of Art with it and just can't get the same effects from Photo shop.to bad can't attatch one of my creatoion to this to show you.

    Thank You

    Tracy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments