can I get my Microsoft Photo Editor to transfer over to Windows 7

Anonymous
2009-12-13T17:08:20+00:00

I use Micro Photo Editor to create my art and need to know if I can get it to work with Window's 7 , I have Windows XP and I know it didn't transfer to Vista which I didn't like Vista anyway

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-14T15:26:15+00:00

Hi Anishtiway,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

Unfortunately, Microsoft Photo editor cannot be transfered to windows 7. Paint is a feature in Windows 7 with which you can edit pictures. You can use Paint like a digital sketchpad to make simple pictures, creative projects, or to add text and designs to other pictures, such as those taken with your digital camera.

 Check the link "Getting started with Paint" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Getting-started-with-Paint

 "REsize a picture using paint" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-19T02:12:14+00:00

    I too enjoyed using Microsoft Photo Editor. I especially liked the ability to use it to resize and move a photo to anywhere on the printed page.  This is especially helpful when you are trying to save on the cost of photo paper. Photo Editor began to fail under XP and was just not available under Windows 7 until I got creative in installing it and running it.

    It would be nice if Microsoft would bring it back to run under Windows 7... but till then try the following which worked for me to get Microsoft Photo Editor to function under Windows 7.  I used my old copy of Microsoft Office 97 to make this install happen.

    1. Insert the Microsoft Office 97 CD into your Windows 7 computer.  I assume if you have the Photoed.exe file as an add on program you will need to make a few changes in this process.
    2. Run a custom install  of Office 97 and only select photo editor from the office selections
    3. I don't know if this was necessary, BUT to avoid any confusion of files with Office 2007 I elected to CHANGE THE INSTALL LOCATION  for Office 97 to MICROSOFT OFFICE97.  This will also make it easier if you need to do an UN-Install of Office 97.
    4. I did not install any of the patches for Office 97.
    5. I allowed the program to install JUST    PHOTOED.EXE
    6. There were a few additional files loaded but I assume that they are needed to make the photoed.exe function under windows....??
    7. I did NOT need to select to run as administrator or in any of the other compatibility options of Windows 7.

    The hard part was getting the program to print my finished photos.  NONE of my printers could actually print a finished picture UNTIL....

    1. I downloaded PDF Factory version PDF352std.exe from the following site:

    http://www.fineprint.com/products/download-pdfFactory.html 2. I then opened my photo in Microsoft Photo Editor 3. Then I selected PRINT and selected the PDF Printer from the PRINTER pull down window. 4. Then I manipulated it as desired changing size and position on the page using the TAB key to move from field to field 5. I finally hit return and allowed the PDF Printer to print the photo. 6. PDF Factory came up and offered to allow me to save and or print the photo. 7. I was then able to send the finished photo to one of my standard printers with no problem.

    I hope this is helpful.

    Andy

    Thanks, Andy!  I thought I had tried this earlier, unsuccessfully, but it worked tonight!  Much happier now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-23T08:51:32+00:00

    Thanks Refandy. That worked for me.

    Some notes

    1. I don't use Photoed to print so the problem with printer drivers did not bother me.

    2)  Photoed automatically linked itself to jpg and some other formats of file. I am glad.

    1. The disk containing Office 2000 had a list on the cover of programs that it containted and Photo Editor was not one of them. Photo editor was in a subfolder of Office Tools. It took quite a while clicking all the links to prevent install of the other office programs but it was worth it.
    2. The install took ages bearing in mind it should have been only one program and it create start menu items to "create an office file" but other than that it went well.
    3. When I next used Outlook from my MS Office 2007, it had to reconfigured itself, which it did safely with no worries.  

    Photo Editor is lightening fast (unlike my main photo editor) and does most of the quick fix things that I want done. Microsoft is stupid for not including it.

    Photoed is back. Thank you

    Tim (timtak)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-20T16:28:04+00:00

    I used Micro photo Editor on my Vista and I currently use it on my Windows 7.  I merely copied the photoed.exe to each new computer and run it as a separate program.  I just click on it.  It says "Registration/Unregistration failed"  ... I click O.K. and use the program.  Everything seems to be there that I used before.  If anyone need a copy of this program, I uploaded it to my website  http://www.gsdpedigree.com/mpe/photoed.zip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-04T18:59:26+00:00

    Photoed.exe always had a small limit to jpg file size; but remember it was written WAYYYYY back in 1995 and NO ONE had a 12 megapixel camera back then.

    It STILL beats the ____ out of EVERY photo manipulation program since! 

    I saved the exe on a thumb drive and take it every where; I use it all the time. Works just fine in ALL Win OSs

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments