Screen turns black or grey while using Snipping Tool on Internet Explorer

Anonymous
2010-07-23T17:09:55+00:00

The Snipping tool works fine except when I try to use it in Internet explorer.  The entire screen goes to either black or grey when a snipping tool or "New" is selected.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-24T16:07:18+00:00

Hi Stansd,

It seems like something in Internet Explorer is preventing Snipping Tool to do its task.

Were you able to capture screenshots earlier from Internet Explorer using Snipping Tool before this issue occurred?

Firstly, check to see if snipping tool works on other web browsers. Also, try the steps mentioned below to see if that help you in fixing the issue.

Step 1: Run Snipping Tool in Administrator mode

a.    Click on Start; in the Start search type Snipping Tool.

b.    Right click on Snipping Tool and choose to “Run as administrator”.

c.    Open Internet Explorer and then try to capture screen shots.

Step 2: Perform a System File Checker

The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them. Visit the link below to know how to perform system file checker scan on your computer.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Step 3: Update video drivers on your computer

Visit the link below to know how to update device drivers on your computer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Step 4: Test the issue with a new user account

Visit the link below to knowhow to create a test account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think


[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-24T19:56:19+00:00

Do you see the same behavior from "Safe Mode with Networking"?

Vista Advanced Boot Options (or 7)

http://techblissonline.com/vista-advanced-boot-options/

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

Snipping Tool Fails

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/610ecb85-9aea-472c-8590-b835a0982f68

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-31T17:51:54+00:00

    The same thing happened to me.  Sometimes the snip tool would work, other times not (screen would go black or grey).  I disabled Aero (use a Windows7 Basic theme) and it works all the time again.  

    I'm not sure if a Windows update caused the problem or what, but the problem wasn't there originally.  I have a dual core processor, 8gb RAM & 64bit Win7 and I was surprised this happened, but everything seemed to run faster again when I disabled Aero.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-07T19:05:33+00:00

    You could try an alternative if all else fails.  I haven't used it myself so I can't say if it works on anything else but XP but there is a chance that it might.

    What is Snippy?

    http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-07T14:26:59+00:00

    The Snipping Tool now works at random. I have also tried it with Firefox and Chrome and the same randomness occurs.

    This problem started when Microsoft installed Messenger 2011, without a bye your leave.  I shall uninstall it and keep you in touch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments