Unable to boot - TFGHT is compressed

Anonymous
2010-09-25T18:43:35+00:00

original title: boot up

Every time I boot up my cpu it says TFGHT is compressed press Ctrl+Alt+Del. It started after I compressed my C: drive, now I am unable to boot up any cd/dvd or enter safe mode only BIOS. Please help solve.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-25T19:02:41+00:00

Here is a method I picked up from some other thread:

  1. Start your computer from the Windows 7 installation DVD or Repair CD.
  2. Select Repair your computer.
  3. Load driver.
  4. Go to Computer and right click drive where Windows 7 is installed.
  5. Select Properties and uncheck "Compress drive to save disk space".
  6. Close and restart the computer normally.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-29T11:04:37+00:00

    with the Active boo table CD,,,, , go to c: driver and make the driver Uncompressed ,,, and restart your computer ,,, and boot windows normally ,,, the windows working ,,,, as it was ,,, regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-29T10:58:15+00:00

    original title: boot up

    Every time I boot up my cpu it says TFGHT is compressed press Ctrl+Alt+Del. It started after I compressed my C: drive, now I am unable to boot up any cd/dvd or enter safe mode only BIOS. Please help solve.

    with the Active bootable cd , go to c: driver and make the driver Uncompressed ,,

    and boot normally , the windows is working as it is ,,,, regards to all

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-18T22:48:12+00:00

    i face same problem , done above , now working perfectly , thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-10T04:14:12+00:00

    Many thanks for posting your sequential process list.  I had no idea one could open an Explorer window from within the R&R area by merely choosing "Load Drivers", even though it's merely one to open your driver location.  This is such a great step up from doing everything on the terminal as with XP, notwithstanding having to use DiskPart to make a USB installation/rescue disk.  I'm also very thankful I don't have to open this poor machine again and try to revive it with another Win7 system.

    Luckily, I've not had to do much with my Windows 7 installations -- 32- or 64-bit -- since they've run very reliably up until yesterday, when I tried to compress an OS drive.  It's only a 40GB SSD on a netbook, so space is valuable.

    As Pegasus said, IFF your start-up problem is because you compressed the OS drive and/or folder(s), then following those instructions to the letterwill get you back to having an OS that starts properly.  Mostly, this is a case of PEBKAC.  The only thing I can add to it is that there might be a significant period of time between unchecking the "Compress drive to save disk space" check box, closing/hitting OK, and having a responsive system.  Decompression takes a while, especially on a netbook with a 'light-weight' CPU, e.g. Intel Atom.  The best ways to check and see that it's decompressing, IME, are:

    1. The HDD light should be illuminated a great deal of the time, and
    2. You can hit F5 while you're focused on the Open window (the one showing your computer's drives) to refresh the view, where you can see your OS drive's free space slowly diminishing.

    In my case, I started with 19.5GB free, and over the course of several minutes of decompressing and pressing F5, it eventually settled to 12.6GB.  Now you see why I wanted to compress the drive so badly.  :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments