Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE stopped working

Anonymous
2007-02-26T04:36:46+00:00

I just installed Vista Home Premium, with IE7 and WMP11.  I tried to play an MP3 file and got this error - "Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE has stopped working."  WMP11 closes.

Any ideas what's wrong?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2007-04-01T05:17:37+00:00

Well, after days of messing around, I solved the problem on my system.

I am running a 680i motherboard with a pair of GTS8800s I also had a 7950 dual DVI card in the third PCIe slot.  If I disable or remove the 7950 card I can play video in media player and in media center.  I took it a bit further.  In addition, if I put ANY pci video (Even a Quatro NVS 440 PCIe 1x card) in the system, I get the same problem.

I removed the 8800 cards, and put a pair of ATI cards in their place, along with my 7950 card in the third PCIe slot, and everything works perfectly.  Then for giggles, I put a pair of FX4500s in, and no problem..  then I borrowed my buddys pair of FX4500x2 cards (8 GPUs) and put a straight FX4500 in the third slot, and again,  no problem.

I believe the issue (At least in my case) has to do with the presence of an 8800 card with ANY other card in a PCI, PCIe, or PCIR 1x slot.

Not sure if this will help any of you out there, but it worked for me.

regards

J.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2007-08-21T11:21:50+00:00

    Here are error details (in polish language) shown in error window:

    Podpis problemu:

    Nazwa zdarzenia problemu: APPCRASH

    Nazwa aplikacji: wmplayer.exe

    Wersja aplikacji: 11.0.6000.6336

    Sygnatura czasowa aplikacji: 46a16548

    Nazwa modułu z błędem: MF.dll

    Wersja modułu z błędem: 11.0.6000.6324

    Sygnatura czasowa modułu z błędem: 4549bd03

    Kod wyjątku: c0000005

    Przesunięcie wyjątku: 000d9ebb

    Wersja systemu operacyjnego: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6

    Identyfikator ustawień regionalnych: 1045

    Dodatkowe informacje 1: fca2

    Dodatkowe informacje 2: d734fee5d4f1e8d5fb0bedee81597eeb

    Dodatkowe informacje 3: 6861

    Dodatkowe informacje 4: 6d20daf4191023b980d4c42ec2a16347

    It's always the same error in wmp, when trying to play mp3, wmv, wma.

    It's weird thou I can play avi or mpg files in wmp. 

    Other format - mp3 - can be played in winamp.

    Wmv, wma files can only be played in vlc media player... other players are causing errors, and are hanging up.

    So summing up, wmp can't play wm (wma, wmv, wmx etc.) files SIC! and mp3 files.

    Winamp can play mp3.

    I can play wmv files in web browsers (ie, opera-with firefox plugin ) but when it comes to wmx files, there is the same

    error with mf.dll as in wmp.

    But wm files can be played only in programs such as vlc media player, which are using their built decoders.

    I've clicked on - search solution online, and I've sent additional data to ms, so, please.... make something to repair,

    this problem... cause it's very annoying when

    WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER can't play WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO/VIDEO FILES !!!!!

    So dear Microsoft, how can I use your software, when you can't even open your own media files ?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2007-03-11T03:28:23+00:00

    Some questions for you:

    1)  Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows Vista operating system?

    2)  Do you have any plugins installed for Windows Media Player?  If so, can you disable them and see if you continue to see the same error?  You can access/control the plugins by right clicking on the "Now Playing" button, then selecting "Plug-ins" -> "Options".

    3)  Is your virus scanner software up to date, and have you run it recently?  I also recommend running an anti-spyware/adware utility.

    1. Can you tell me the name and version of your audio and video devices (including driver information)?  You can see this information easily by running dxdiag.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2007-02-27T22:37:28+00:00

    Matthew,

    Thanks for your reply.  No it does not play any MP3 or WMA files.  I get the same error.  I can't play DVDs either.  I get a message that Windows will try to find a solution, but then it says that no solution could be found and WMP11 shuts down.

    I am able to play the same audio files using Real Player or Sony SonicStage.  The DVDs play fine using WinDVD.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2007-02-27T06:22:02+00:00

    Are you able to play other MP3 or WMA content using Windows Media Player?  Did you opt to send the error report back to Microsoft?  If so, we can take a look at the data to see what could be causing the error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments