0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-18T01:51:03+00:00

    Hello barryfuller,

    I would recommend creating a new thread for your particular issue due to the age of the thread and the difference in error code.

    Please let us know if you have any questions.

    Best regards,

    Matthew_Ha

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-10T12:04:32+00:00

    i have the same problem services are on auto. where is the system restore service on the services list ?.my error code is this and 0x81000031.i have just upgraded to a 1tb wd external usb drive.my previous back up was only 80mb. i have performed a sfc.exe no problems. please help

    thanks barry fuller

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-02T06:32:10+00:00

    I have had the same problem on my computer.  It was all Revo Uninstaller.  I had uninstalled something and went back to the last uninstall and did a restore from Revo's tools (the little lifeguard circle thing) and it completely worked! Wow I am glad I found this topic.  And forget Revo, uninstalling that now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-14T20:17:43+00:00

    I have this problem, too. Suggested solutions up to this point in thread don't work for me. 

    Windows 7 came on my computer. I did make backup disks for when I first got it, but much software has been installed since then.  Am I going to have to back up all that way? 

    Please oh please oh please say no! 

    Thanks to all who answer here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments