Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems

Anonymous
2010-03-04T02:15:45+00:00

I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues.  I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD.  When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same.  Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)

 I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-24T20:41:06+00:00

    Dec 2012 and still the same problem. I downloaded Windows Movie Maker and DVD Maker on Dec 23 2012 so I have the latest version. All my videos from all my sources which I compiled into a home movie in Movie Maker were native 16:9. DVD Maker is set to 16:9 (after I changed the default setting from 4:3 which is already very lazy and weak from Microsoft; what is left in 4:3 in 2012? A majority? hardly). Everything from the source to the DVD burning software is 16:9. The Movie Maker movie shows in 16:9 when played from the file. When burned, the menu is in 16:9 but after about 2 frames the movie clicks into 4:3. It has nothing to do with any setting in MM or DVD Maker that anyone in numerous forums can find. I compiled and created my movie in Windows Movie Maker and published it in both .wmv and .mp4 so the common hack workaround of opening the movie file in MM then publishing it to DVD Maker is totally N/A. There were reports of an AVI compression setting causing it but that option is gone from the newest Movie Maker which, like everything, has lost its "Live" moniker. If any devs or moderators want to blame the DVD/Bluray players in 2012 then they're taking us all for idiots. The only explanation I have found that sounds accurate is that Microsoft attempted to allow multiple aspect ratios to burn to one DVD in DVD Maker and that slight variances in resolutions will cause DVD Maker to snap into 4:3. That's called a bug and it was reported at least 3 years ago.

    This has been a reported issue in Microsoft's own forums, answers.microsoft and in technet and numerous other tech help forums. I've personally read at least 7 different threads on this very specific problem in the past 2 days trying to solve this issue. Some of the reports date back to 2007 but let's be generous and only count the Windows Vista/7 bug reports since 2009. A 3 yr old common issue with no fix or workaround is about is poor as it gets.

    So this is where Windows is in 2012? Microsoft's home OS cannot author and burn DVDs in 16:9 even if their native source aspect ratio is 16:9 and the movie was created in Microsoft's own software. I'm not a habitual Microsoft critic but considering that claims of effortless home movies created by 3 year olds is always on the shortest of home computer tenets, this is very poor from Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-14T09:19:28+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem. But this problem has only started since I recently downloaded the latest version of Movie Maker. The WMV (HD) file created by WMMaker plays absolute perfect when played in WM Player. But the DVD Maker result produces Menus in 16:9 BUT video in 4:3 (as you say). Previously before the download, I have produced many successful DVD's using WMMaker to WMV to DVD Maker. MIcrosoft must know the problem so LET'S HAVE A SOLUTION !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T12:12:51+00:00

    Another user here who is having the aspect ratio problem outlined above.  No matter what format the native file is in and whether or not 4:3 or 16:9 is selected in options, the DVD is always burned with a 4:3 ratio rather than the native 16:9 widescreen ratio.  I also have successfully burned DVDs in the past but am no longer able to do it.  If this is a problem with Win 7 and this was first reported 3 years ago why has this still not been fixed!!!!!  As an lifelong owner of Windows PCs I have owned apple mobile and tablet devices for the last two years and the ease convenience of Apple products versus clunky windows problems and lack of customer satisfaction as is event here are really turning me off Microsoft.  Windows 7 is still a supported product and judging by this forum, Microsoft seem to be blatantly sweeping the problem under the carpet.  The Windows DVD Maker and the increased multimedia experience were main reasons for me buying this PC.  In future, I will consider the alternatives

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T14:26:57+00:00

    PROBLEM RESOLVED

    I have actually resolved the problem. It struck me that my problem only started when I updated my version of Movie MAKER (yes MOVIE MAKER). So on the search for an older version on the MS Website I found version Movie Maker v2.6, downloaded and installed. Next I downloaded a later version (2011) of Microsoft Essentials and then using DVD Maker,  I re-burnt a previous failed WMV file and Hey Presto! everything was back to normal. I can only assume that the latest version of Movie Maker(2012) somehow corrupts an important DLL or AX file. Incidentally I now have 2 versions of Movie Maker on my PC i.e. 2.6 and version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308). Obviously I use the latter. 

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T14:31:07+00:00

    Problem Resolved - see my latest thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments