A valid fix for Vista, not for 7 where the issue is. "Read your screen"
Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems
I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues. I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD. When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same. Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)
I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2010-10-24T15:00:09+00:00 -
Anonymous
2011-04-05T23:07:34+00:00 I am not happy with this solution.
First off, Windows DVD Maker burnt two good DVD's for me with no issues when I started using the software. Perfect menus, perfect quality and the aspect ratio was properly set to 16:9 as the original .avi file regardless of where I put the DVD on, WMP, VLC, my DVD player.
The problem started exactly on my third DVD attempt and no matter what I set -4:3 or 16:9 it would give me a stretched DVD with horrible black bars on each side. I don't want to use other software because no one that I know of gives better menus than WDM, but what can I do
-
Anonymous
2011-09-21T08:03:04+00:00 I have found another programme that works it is the Easy Avi.Dvx/Xvid to DVD Burner as my Windows DVD Maker also ends up an 4:3 format
-
Anonymous
2011-10-22T13:02:47+00:00 This is not really a solution - if you need workarounds for a program to work correctly, I think the commonly accepted categorization is FAIL . Anybody find a third-party program that has a decent menu option ???
-
Anonymous
2012-02-22T04:19:53+00:00 Having this same issue. I have searched forum after forum. DO NOT give me the same BS that you keep giving everyone else. The Windows Movie maker tip is NOT a solution, but a workaround to cover up your own incompetence. WE are your customers, WE are your paycheck. I did not have this problem on my Vista machine. It is NOT an issue with the DVD player or the TV, so don't bother giving me that BS either. GIVE US A REAL SOLUTION MICROSOFT. If this is how you treat your customers, then my next computer is going to be a Mac.