Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems

Anonymous
2010-03-04T02:15:45+00:00

I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues.  I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD.  When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same.  Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)

 I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-04T23:18:00+00:00

    Hi jurosado,

    By default, Windows DVD Maker menus are displayed at a 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio. Therefore, some of the menu might not appear if displayed on a standard TV that has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

    If you’re still facing issues playing the videos already burnt in 16:9 aspect ratio, the problem could probably be attributed to the fact that .AVI was the file format of the source file

    You may have to convert the .AVI file into .WMV format and then burn the same in 16:9 aspect ratio using Windows DVD Maker.

    Converting .AVI files into .WMV format and then burning the same using Windows DVD Maker has helped a lot of users in fixing the 16:9 aspect ratio issues.

    WMV format is "Windows Media Video" format, and this format will work properly with DVD Maker.

    To convert .AVI file into .WMV format, I’d recommend you to use Windows Live Movie Maker.

    Windows Live Movie Maker is not preloaded with Windows 7. You may download and install the same from the following link:

    Movie Maker – Windows Live

    http://download.live.com/moviemaker

    In case you need assistance to explore the features of Windows Live Movie Maker, refer the following link:

    http://windowslive.com/desktop/moviemaker

    Hope this helps.


    Gokul - Microsoft Support

    [If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-19T20:11:22+00:00

    Gokul,

    You suggest downloading Windows Live Movie Maker, but that must be just a plug because obviously you are from Microsoft Support.

    I don't know if Windows Live Movie Maker would solve the aspect ratio problem or not for an AVI file, but when I began the download and saw how long it would take because it was downloading ALL aspects of Windows Live, not just the part that would be needed to fix the problem, I decided to interrupt the download rather than have all the extra junk added to my computer that I didn't need and that didn't have anything to do with my aspect/ratio problem.

    To anyone else, I suggest looking for a simpler method to convert AVI to WMV.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T00:19:34+00:00

    Well, I did, in fact, find an easier way to convert AVI to WMV files, BUT it did not solve the problem of aspect ratio.  Even as a WMV file, the movie in Windows DVD Maker still appears at a ratio of 4:3 despite my selection of 16:9 (widescreen).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-05-08T03:25:01+00:00

    Lindall,

    wow.. Im sorry, but Gokul T's suggestion is not just a "plug" but a valid fix.  Im not sure why you are so concerned about installing a microsoft product anyway, its free and if your not completely computer illiterate (obviously)  and you actually read your screen during windows live setup, you can choose not to install anything but windows live movie maker.  No wonder you were having so many problems... glad you got it figured out

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-08-05T07:45:37+00:00

    Hi, I read the microsoft technician's solution, however I had the same issues with DVD maker. It has fantastic menus for burning movies but the aspect ratio is off.

    I did install the Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7 and I did open the avi movies I want to burn into Movie Maker however this is where the problem started. When I saved it as a widescreen 720 dpi it took over 2 hours to save the file.

    Why go through all this trouble when you can just do this with another program that does burn avi files with excellent quality and no problems like

    sothink dvd maker http://www.sothinkmedia.com/movie-dvd-maker/dvd-creator.htm#pro

    The free download has no problems.

    However, I am still unhappy with the template menu's from sothink and I am student and can't afford the upgrade software. I love the windows dvd maker menus and love the fact that it is free. Can someone out there please help me and others by telling us how to fix the aspect ratio without having to save as wmv file in movie maker. That is way too long to wait just to wait another two hours to burn in dvd maker. If only WINDOWS DVD MAKER worked with avi files which it does state that on Microsoft's website, that would be a wonderful program.

    Thank you.

    Michelle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments