Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems

Anonymous
2010-03-04T02:15:45+00:00

I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues.  I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD.  When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same.  Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)

 I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-21T08:03:04+00:00

    I have found another programme that works it is the Easy Avi.Dvx/Xvid  to DVD Burner as my Windows DVD Maker also ends up an 4:3 format

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-05T23:07:34+00:00

    I am not happy with this solution.

    First off, Windows DVD Maker burnt two good DVD's for me with no issues when I started using the software. Perfect menus, perfect quality and the aspect ratio was properly set to 16:9 as the original .avi file regardless of where I put the DVD on, WMP, VLC, my DVD player.

    The problem started exactly on my third DVD attempt and no matter what I set -4:3 or 16:9 it would give me a stretched DVD with horrible black bars on each side. I don't want to use other software because no one that I know of gives better menus than WDM, but what can I do

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-24T15:00:09+00:00

    A valid fix for Vista, not for 7 where the issue is. "Read your screen"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-05T07:45:37+00:00

    Hi, I read the microsoft technician's solution, however I had the same issues with DVD maker. It has fantastic menus for burning movies but the aspect ratio is off.

    I did install the Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7 and I did open the avi movies I want to burn into Movie Maker however this is where the problem started. When I saved it as a widescreen 720 dpi it took over 2 hours to save the file.

    Why go through all this trouble when you can just do this with another program that does burn avi files with excellent quality and no problems like

    sothink dvd maker http://www.sothinkmedia.com/movie-dvd-maker/dvd-creator.htm#pro

    The free download has no problems.

    However, I am still unhappy with the template menu's from sothink and I am student and can't afford the upgrade software. I love the windows dvd maker menus and love the fact that it is free. Can someone out there please help me and others by telling us how to fix the aspect ratio without having to save as wmv file in movie maker. That is way too long to wait just to wait another two hours to burn in dvd maker. If only WINDOWS DVD MAKER worked with avi files which it does state that on Microsoft's website, that would be a wonderful program.

    Thank you.

    Michelle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-05-08T03:25:01+00:00

    Lindall,

    wow.. Im sorry, but Gokul T's suggestion is not just a "plug" but a valid fix.  Im not sure why you are so concerned about installing a microsoft product anyway, its free and if your not completely computer illiterate (obviously)  and you actually read your screen during windows live setup, you can choose not to install anything but windows live movie maker.  No wonder you were having so many problems... glad you got it figured out

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments