That's a workaround... Not a fix.
Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems
I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues. I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD. When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same. Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)
I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-11-03T13:39:21+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-03T11:15:59+00:00 My original thread is shown below. This certainly worked for me and many others. Simply put you need uninstall MovieMaker version 2012 and install Version 2011.
====================
My original thread April 2013
"
I have actually resolved the problem. It struck me that my problem only started when I updated my version of Movie MAKER (yes MOVIE MAKER). So on the search for an older version on the MS Website I found version Movie Maker v2.6, downloaded and installed. Next I downloaded a later version (2011) of Microsoft Essentials and then using DVD Maker, I re-burnt a previous failed WMV file and Hey Presto! everything was back to normal. I can only assume that the latest version of Movie Maker(2012) somehow corrupts an important DLL or AX file. Incidentally I now have 2 versions of Movie Maker on my PC i.e. 2.6 and version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308). Obviously I use the latter.
I hope this helps. "
====================
-
Anonymous
2013-11-03T00:22:24+00:00 no, there's no fix yet.... you have to continue using one of the work-arounds
the problem happens because the use of MM2012 files in combination with Windows DVD Maker results in the aspect ratio tag of the ifo file on the disc being set to standard instead of widescreen..... work-arounds include not using MM2012 or editing the ifo file on the disc to change the tag to widescreen.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-02T19:12:00+00:00 Any solutions found to this? I'm finding the same issue. I've converted a 16:9 AVI to WMV using Movie Maker. The WMV file is also 16:9. I load the WMV in DVD Maker, and it shows 16:9 from beginning to end in preview. I burn the disk, the initial screen is 16:9, but as soon as I start the video it switches to 4:3. what's up with that?
-
Anonymous
2013-10-22T15:38:52+00:00 I can confirm that removing 2012 and then installing 2011 as described by kisbeSL does fix this issue. The WMV files produced by the two versions preview differently in Windows Explorer, the 2012 looks 'right' and the 2011 looks 'squished' into a 4:3 aspect ratio. But when burnt using DVD Maker the 2011 comes out correctly. Looking at the Frame Height and Frame Width both files seem to be the same, but something is different...
I didn't bother with the 2.6 install, but you have to recreate the WMV file once 2011 is installed (obviously).