Thank you for detailing this issue and providing a solution!
Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems
I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues. I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD. When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same. Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)
I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-02-22T08:16:26+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-08-24T16:42:28+00:00 This may be a good opportunity to remind of the solutions found, to leave as a summary for new readers:
Look at my earlier entry for an explanation of the problem and a workaround: June 15, 2014.
And the entry by Fergal Monaghan June 22, 2014 suggesting use of the tool wmv-aspect-ratio-changer.
Fergal succeeded using my suggestions, and he details the installation and use of this tool to fix the problem easily. I use this now, too.
You can also use a slightly earlier version of the Windows Movie Maker to create your videos (if you are using Windows Movie Maker for this) and not have to use wmv-aspect-ratio-changer. Some of the other entries in this thread list versions that do not work correctly and versions that do.
The choice is yours.
-
Anonymous
2016-08-24T14:59:42+00:00 I used a WMV file and had exactly the same problem. Is there way to actually address the problem? 16:9 videos displayed as 4:3 look awful.
You replied to a post that's over six years old, and the answers you are seeking are in this thread.
-
Anonymous
2016-08-24T14:51:30+00:00 I used a WMV file and had exactly the same problem. Is there way to actually address the problem? 16:9 videos displayed as 4:3 look awful.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-24T12:52:42+00:00 I wish to thank you really much! I was going out crazy wasting time and DVD before I found this piece of information.
I eventually succeeded in burning my DVD in 16:9 ratio!
I'm using windows 7 64 bit, Movie Maker + DVD maker last release, such as today is April 24 2015.