Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems

Anonymous
2010-03-04T02:15:45+00:00

I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues.  I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD.  When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same.  Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)

 I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-22T15:38:52+00:00

    I can confirm that removing 2012 and then installing 2011 as described by kisbeSL does fix this issue. The WMV files produced by the two versions preview differently in Windows Explorer, the 2012 looks 'right' and the 2011 looks 'squished' into a 4:3 aspect ratio. But when burnt using DVD Maker the 2011 comes out correctly. Looking at the Frame Height and Frame Width both files seem to be the same, but something is different...

    I didn't bother with the 2.6 install, but you have to recreate the WMV file once 2011 is installed (obviously).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T12:08:06+00:00

    Please refer to my previous threads in April 2013. In summary Uninstall completely the latest version, Install Version 2.6 if you can find it....this seems to correct the video codecs (my guess). Upgrade to version 2011 (NOT 2012).

    Also, if you are using re-writable discs, you do not need to waste any discs. DVD Writer will simply overwrite any previous failed attempts.

    ====================

    My original thread April 2013

    "

    I have actually resolved the problem. It struck me that my problem only started when I updated my version of Movie MAKER (yes MOVIE MAKER). So on the search for an older version on the MS Website I found version Movie Maker v2.6, downloaded and installed. Next I downloaded a later version (2011) of Microsoft Essentials and then using DVD Maker,  I re-burnt a previous failed WMV file and Hey Presto! everything was back to normal. I can only assume that the latest version of Movie Maker(2012) somehow corrupts an important DLL or AX file. Incidentally I now have 2 versions of Movie Maker on my PC i.e. 2.6 and version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308). Obviously I use the latter. 

    I hope this helps. "

    ====================

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T05:47:38+00:00

    I have read this entire thread and sorry to say that your suggestion is not working.

    I have converted a video file from AVI to WMV and when I added a file to Windows DVD Maker, it did not add the file and said "0 file have been successfully added."

    This thread has been going on since 2009.  It's already 2013.  Seems like MS is doing nothing about this bug.

    The DVD aspect ratio feature seems like a false feature. I've already wasted 4 DVD's trying to configure the aspect size.  So far nothing is working.

    If there is a true work around that is not to complex, I suggest MS share that with us or better yet, put the fix in as an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T21:08:14+00:00

    I uninstalled MSE2012 and installed MSE2011, and this problem is fixed.  However, there are a few other bugs that are annoying but not as frustrating as the ones I saw in 2012 version.  At least my final DVD outputs look good now.  There is still a bug in 2011, though, that if for some reason I have to exit the app after saving the proj, when I re-enter and load the proj, it changes a 4:3 aspect to a 16:9 aspect.  The only thing I found how to work around this is start the proj over and scrap the saved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T00:38:43+00:00

    I like how Microsoft is just ignoring this page. Do they think its gonna get fixed on its own. I really feel like they don't even care about we want anymore. Time to switch...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments