This thread has solved this problem for me. I am running fully updated Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows Movie Maker (WMM) 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331) and Windows DVD Maker (WDM) 2012 (the latest: if someone can tell me how I obtain the full version info for DVD Maker I will include it here also). Sanity check to make sure you the reader are experiencing the same problem as me: I had created all videos I wanted to burn as WMVs through WMM and had set all widescreen settings correctly there. However, when I burnt those WMVs to DVD using WDM the resulting DVDs played the menu fine in widescreen and then after a frame or two of actual video play switched to squished 4:3 ratio (as already described by Rich_D). If this sounds like you, please read on!
I'd like to thank the following contributors specifically:
Rich_D for the detail in describing the symptoms. Your efforts allowed me to confirm that the problem you are describing is the same one I have experienced, and not one of the many other slightly different ones with older version of Windows, Movie Maker and DVD Maker that I have read through and stabbed at on the Web in the last few weeks. You provided me focus on "What the problem is".
kisbeSL for great detail in describing the symptoms and your trial and error attempts to identify solution options that just work. Your efforts have helped identify the problem area causing this headache for so many of us. You provided me the "How to fix the problem full stop".
PapaJohn... for identifying the root of the end problem on burnt DVDs. You provided me the "Why the problem is presenting itself".
Patrick McTiernan for hitting the nail on the head with the full diagnosis. Your efforts allowed me to follow up with a minimalist workaround that works for me without changing/downgrading/touching any versions of any Microsoft software. You provided me the "Where you can intercept and prevent this problem". As well as your tip to use gspot to view the sar, par and dar parameters for my WMV videos, I searched for one of the 3rd party editing tools you refer to for removing the par and dar values and eventually settled on WMV Aspect Ratio Changer by Komeil Bahmanpour which I found referenced on his blog. This does exactly what it says on the tin. For anyone who wants to try this solution, here's what I did:
- Download and extract wmv-aspect-ratio-changer
- Run WMVARChanger.exe
- Load each WMV file you want to remove the par and dar values from. It will load up and display "Current Aspect Ratio" X and Y values
- Click "Remove"
That's it! The change is immediately applied to the file and you can verify that par and dar values have been removed while sar remains intact by using gspot.
I then tried burning my now-altered WMVs using WDM and widescreen functions correctly on the final DVD at last.
I would agree with the general sentiment of dismay and shock over how long Microsoft has (and continues) to let this slide. Similar to many people, I wanted to stick with Microsoft software because of the menus and ease of use since I am a n00b at DVD making and just want something simple to use at home that doesn't feel too much like work. With this post I want to make sure I gave back to the community my experience in tying together all the other guys' information that I took from in the hope that it helps some other n00bs out there. I really hope that Microsoft picks up on this bug and implements the ultra-simple fix described above in WDM so that a 3rd party interim step is no longer needed.
Thank you all again for your efforts and for the time you took to share you knowledge. Thanks to you, I have only wasted 4 DVDs rather than dozens scratching my head over this. You may now live and die safe in the knowledge that your legacy lives on through me and my son's baby videos :p