Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-15T16:28:21+00:00

    I have the same problem and I am using W7 64 Pro, so irritating !!!

    It began after some major update. I usually do the OS, drivers and software update at one go. So I cannot say exactly say what the root cause  is. I would need to restore the system a few month back and start installing the updates one by one, and then observe the system.

    The most annoying it starts by itself, one moment you scroll down, the next moment it zooms in or out.

    What I do is just press, shift, ctrl and alt in random and it usually goes away till next time the Shift stuck again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-08T16:32:11+00:00

    how way to lose shift(casplock off / on)?

    please answer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-10T05:10:34+00:00

    What if the system acts like this from the point of first use?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-06T16:30:33+00:00

    also have exact same behaviour occuring on my HP probook 6550 running win 7 pro 64bit

    excel, photoshop etc all behave as if shift is being pressed, but isnt.

    not an issue with ease of use or keyboard.

    have had occuring for a few weeks now, only just clocked on to what is going on

    so probably too late to roll back :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments